From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I use a non-NI card in LabVIEW RT environment

We built up a LabVIEW RT environment with LabVIEW 7.1 and relating drivers. There is a problem that we use some non-NI cards in this system and we did not know how to install the dll driver.
Could you give me some ideals?

Thanks a lot!!

Regards,
Yang Xin
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,501 Views)
As it states in the LV RT User Manual - Appendix A (7.0) you might get more info on ni.com/info with info code RTDRVS.

What kind of instrument/io-/bus-cards are you using?

As I thought the VI calling the DLL would download the dll to the RT target automatically when run the VI. However, there are probably some restrictions (e.g. Call Library Nodes that access an operating system API other than Pharlap).

In the 7.0 release notes it is mentioned: When building a start-up application that uses shared libraries (DLLs) with the LabVIEW Application Builder, LabVIEW opens the DLLs Used by Application dialog box and lists the DLLs used by the application. Some DLLs might report the following error:
Target OS fails to load this DLL
Ignore the warning and click th
e OK button if you already transferred the DLL to the RT target. If you have not transferred the DLLs to the target, FTP the DLLs to the /ni-rt/system directory of the RT target.

Note as well: Why Does My DLL Call Cause My LabVIEW Real-Time VI to Fail to Download?

Let us know.
Roland

PS: These are links to start with.
Developing a LabVIEW Real-Time Driver for a PXI or Compact PCI Device
Configuring LabVIEW Real-Time and NI-VISA to Recognize a Third Party Device
Using VISA to Write Drivers Supported in LabVIEW Real-Time for Thi
rd Party PXI Cards.

Programming for the LabVIEW Real-Time Module Using LabWindows/CVI
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,501 Views)
Thanks Roli.

I have read "Why Does My DLL Call Cause My LabVIEW Real-Time VI to Fail to Download?". We faced the same problem as mentioned in that passage.

We use a 1553B card and the DLL is L13w32.dll. The DLL has a file name that follows the DOS 8.3 file name convention.
We tried many times and the problem still exists.

Could you give us further help?

Best regards,
Yang Xin
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,501 Views)