LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I re-plot an RMS conversion of an existing .tdms plot?

I'm fairly new to LabVIEW, as I'm only a student with limited experience (the basics). I've recently been asked to convert an existing voltage waveform to RMS. The initial plot is contained in a .tdms and is in an array of 9. It is the 8th item/channel. I've managed to seperately plot the data for the 8th channel, via the TDM Data Viewer.vi. I need to try to take this specific wavefrom, preferrably alone, and convert it's data to RMS values. Because it's a waveform, and of an existing array of waveforms, I'm not sure if it's possible to go from one wf to another directly (1).

(2) Or rather, if I would have to somehow extract the data first, convert it, then proceed to plot?

So far, I've been messing with several of the pre-assembled functions/blocks. None of which have worked, usually due to compatibility issues in the data type (1-D array of Waveform(DBL) to double[64 bit....] = no good).

(3) My other thought is: would there be a way to isolate the desired plot, get to the raw data of it, build an array out of it, convert that data, and then plot?

A note on the above process; I attempted to build a for loop that used the RMS PtByPt.vi and an array builder, but it seems as though the point by point only produced one result, and plotted that point.

(4) I'm concerned that even if one of the RMS functions does work in this situation, will it take into consideration that the original waveform is in no way a uniform generated signal? Rather than giving one value for the whole plot, which it seems to be doing, can it calculate the RMS each at point in time using a moving range of 100 or so samples?

Sorry for the length, and possibly the vagueness. If you need more info, I'll be periodically checking untill I figure something out, so just ask.

Otherwise, thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,185 Views)

My apologies that we didn't respond to this forum post sooner. Do you still need assistance with this issue?

Regards,

Kareem W.
National Instruments
Web Product Manager
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,020 Views)