LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I plot digital timing data?

I'm using labview fpga to generate 5 sets of digital output pulses for timing and experiment, and I'd like to also place a graph of these pulses on the labview front panel so we can hav a rough idea of what it does without using an oscilloscope.  The pulses range from several microseconds up to 10 ms, and each of the 5 pulses are independant from each other.    

I supposed that since I would be using digital pulses, I could use a digital waveform graph to display the pulses, but its not at all clear to me how to go about doing this.  Also since the timescales are so different (us vs ms), I will need to be able to zoom in and out (horizontally) on different sections of the graph to see the timing precisely.

Could someone give any hints on what the best aproach would be?  

I'd essentially like to reproduce a graph similar to this, showing the start and stop times of the pulse (with the pulse trigger at time 0)

NI Hardware: PXI-7853R, PCI-5122, PCI-6733, PXI-1036, PCI-MIO-16E-4, PCI-6110
Computer Hardware: Xeon Quad Core - 2.33 Ghz, 8 GB RAM
Software: Labview 2009, Labview FPGA 2009, Vista 64-bit, MAX 4.6, DAQmx 9.0, NI-SCOPE 3.5
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,167 Views)
I would recommend not using the digital graph as that will hide the ringing that you're seeing on your plot. Use either a regular waveform graph or you can use a mixed signal graph. Not sure if the mixed signal graph is supported on LabVIEW FPGA, though.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,154 Views)

Hi,

I should have probably been clearer.. its actually ok if I hide the ringing as the only infomration I need to convey is the start and stop times for the pulse (The pulse should only have binary on/off behavior - the ringing is only there because this image was taking with unshielded wiring). In fact, since its the user who enters all of the pulse values  (the repetition period, pulse start time, and pulse duration/stop time),  the graph only serves to convey a visual representation of what we expect to more or less see on a real oscilloscope.

So from your answer, I guess a digital waveform graph would actually be appropriate for this?  What I don't get is how I would go about displaying an arbitrary pulse on a digital waveform graph.  For example, if I want to create pulse that goes high at 10 us and low again at 20 us, and have that sequence repeat after 10000 us, what steps should I take to display such a thing on a graph?  Would I define a 10000 bit array and send that into a graph..  or would I have to do some kind of rescaling of the values?  Or is there a simpler more cleaner way?

I can't seem to find any exmaples or tutorials that show what I'm looking for..  (or maybe I just don't get it)

Thanks

NI Hardware: PXI-7853R, PCI-5122, PCI-6733, PXI-1036, PCI-MIO-16E-4, PCI-6110
Computer Hardware: Xeon Quad Core - 2.33 Ghz, 8 GB RAM
Software: Labview 2009, Labview FPGA 2009, Vista 64-bit, MAX 4.6, DAQmx 9.0, NI-SCOPE 3.5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,144 Views)

You can display a waveform like that on a digital graph. A digital graph's waveform data isn't that much different from a waveform graph's waveform data. It has a t0 (start), dt (delta time), and array of data. The main difference is with the array of data. If you have analog data you can use the DWDT Analog to Digital Data to get a digital stream. See attached picture for an example. If you put a probe on the brown waveform data and one on the green digital waveform data you will see how the timing is specified either way.

Do you actually want to create your own waveform, or simply display what's on the scope as a digital graph? I read your post as wanting the latter. In this case you would just need to get the data from the scope and create a waveform datatype using whatever dt you have set up on the scope (looks like 2 usec from the picture). You could then wire this to the DWDT Analog to Digital Data to get a digital stream.

I hope I understood what you were asking. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,133 Views)