LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I add a User Library or Instrument Library to my Project Installer?

Hello All,

I want to includ some libraries for 2014 in my distribution installer in LabVIEW 2014.

Some of these files are located in Instr.lib and others in User.lib. There may also be some in vi.lib.

I have some devices and custom VI's I have written and would like to distribute these with my executable.

Is there a way to include these libraries automatically?

As it stands now, I have to install my application then manually copy these libraries which is obtuse.

Note that one of my user libraries is a directory of VI's, not a compiled libary (at this time).

Thanks for any advice.

Veni Vidi Duci
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(6,217 Views)

Are you talking about an installer for an Executable Build Specification? In that case all statically linked content will be part of the executable itself.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(6,213 Views)

Yeah, I believe so.

In the past, though, none of these libraries were installed.

But this is why:

My main VI is the test VI that calls sub vi's from a remote location by reference. These VI's are dynamic in scope.

As such, any of these sub VI's that refer to the libraries in my User.lib for example have no VI to reference. These dynamic VI's do not get installed. They are simply present in a library.

Would it make sense, then, that my VI's that are called by reference should themeselves be installed using an executible so the required instrumetns and user VI's are installed as well?

That might do the trick.

Veni Vidi Duci
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(6,196 Views)

@DB_IQ wrote:

Yeah, I believe so.

In the past, though, none of these libraries were installed.

But this is why:

My main VI is the test VI that calls sub vi's from a remote location by reference. These VI's are dynamic in scope.

As such, any of these sub VI's that refer to the libraries in my User.lib for example have no VI to reference. These dynamic VI's do not get installed. They are simply present in a library.

Would it make sense, then, that my VI's that are called by reference should themeselves be installed using an executible so the required instrumetns and user VI's are installed as well?

That might do the trick.

You can manually add them as dependencies to a seperate folder in the exe build spec, and then reference that relative location in your main VI when calling them.

There is always the Post-Build action too that might help.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(6,188 Views)

Pre and post-build VIs are dangerous things - for me - because I can sit there and tinker with them forever and get my installer to do cartwheels and backflips.  😉

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(6,178 Views)