LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How are you tracking deployed software versions for traceability?

I am curious how others are tracking deployed software versions in automated test environments.

I am working on a medical device tester and we have a somewhat inefficient method for keeping track of all version numbers. I would like to know what tools are available to automate tracking version throughout a project, from build to viewing later. Or, what methods are typical in this type of environment.

Essentially, we need to be able to say at any given moment what software version is running at 3 remote locations on several deployed systems.

For simply automating the process of viewing the version number programmatically, I found this, but we've had issues with it:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/D45E3A1E694815AD86257173005CFD36

This solution requires a "separate" installer to get the .NET framework onto the target PC. Also, it doesn't work (to my knowledge) with the Help>>About window.

Comments?

Dan Richards
Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,743 Views)
What sort of version control are you using now? Subversion is a popular option. There are many others. I have used this along with document control software such as Agile. What does your company use for ECO tracking?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,729 Views)

Dennis,

Thanks for replying. We are using SVN. The exact ECO process for this project is under construction as it is a relatively new project and deployments will be at our customer's site. We use JIRA for tracking specific change requests.

Here's an example of our basic process:

- Software changes made (according to JIRA tasks) and source code checked in

- Builds released per schedule with version numbers (from JIRA projects) hard-coded into the application

- Builds deployed at different locations & times

Here's what I'd like to see to improve things:

- Builds released with version numbers generated from one of the following:

1. Loaded from JIRA release numbers - maybe auto-generated for reference by LabVIEW when building the application

2. Part of a custom build launcher

>> This would be a custom interface that runs functions like those in Application Builder palette while also sending version info

>> Perhaps it could prompt the user for version info or read from something auto-generated.

- Builds should automatically make version numbers visible within the application (for example, LabVIEW has the Help>>About window)

- Build numbers should be programmatically/dynamically accessible without having to install an additional .NET framework that isn't listed in 'Additional Installers'

Curious if there are any tools that support these kinds of things. I am aware of Deploy by Wirebird Labs and Proligent by Averna, although I am lacking in knowledge about specific features.

Regards,

Dan

Dan Richards
Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,632 Views)

Hi Dan, 

You might want to look at BLT for LabVIEW : http://BLTforLabVIEW.com and also on the LabVIEW Tools Network

It's totally free for up to 5 deployments so it's fine for your first needs.

BLT for LabVIEW includes a framework in your LabVIEW code that reports usage sessions, version, error logs...

It also give you the ability to push program updates automatically.

It might be the perfect solution for your needs.

Let us know what you think!

Regards.

Matthias Baudot | Software Architect | Founder at STUDIO BODs

STUDIO BODs     BLT for LabVIEW     LabVIEW Champion     Certified Professional Instructor     DQMH Trusted Advisor     GCentral Sponsor

Check out my LabVIEW presentations and videos!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,448 Views)

Hi,

We wrote our own one click build. One of its actions is updating the title bar of the main window with the version number based on today's date, as well as updating the exe name with the version number, e.g. MyProgram_300314.exe and "My Program Version 300314". In addition it commits the code with an automatic message including the build version. We have an input window where the person doing the relase enters the bug fixes and changes for this version and this is added to the commit message. So far, it's working great.

Thanks,

Danielle

"Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.”
― Terry Pratchett
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,430 Views)