From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How To Disable Update Service Prompt

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I am deploying NI 488.2 onto multiple remote systems using silent installation.  The installation works well except that an NI Update Service prompt appears after restarting.  I can disable the prompt by unchecking the "periodic check..." check box in the NI Update Service settings.  However, I want to be able to "uncheck" this box during or immediately after the installation.  Is there a configuration file or registry entry that I can use to remotely disable the update service prompts?  Thank you for your help!!

-Eric

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(8,802 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author EricJay

Add this flag to your setup.exe call: /disableNotificationCheck

Then Update Service should not launch after reboot. You can still enable periodic checking later in preferences.

LaRisa Mohr
Staff Product Support Engineer - NI Update Service
National Instruments R&D
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(8,800 Views)

LaRisa,

What service call are you referring to?  Please provide explicit instructions on how to prevent NI Update Service from launching on reboot.  Thanks.

Steve Drouilhet
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(8,775 Views)

Hi Steve, 

I'm referring to the command line arguments used when automating installation of NI installers. KnowledgeBase 4GGGDQH0 has more explicit instructions for automating installation.

If you're not automating installation, you can manually deselect the request to contact National Instruments for new notifications and updates in the installer dialog.

notification check.jpg

LaRisa Mohr
National Instruments R&D
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(8,765 Views)

LaRisa,

I've got systems in the field with NI Update Service installed, and I never want it to run unless I manually request it when I'm on site.  It causes problems with the machine if it launches automatically.  Is there a way I can prevent the service from being started after it is installed, with a registry key or something?  I don't have the capability to reinstall the software remotely.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve Drouilhet
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(8,753 Views)

I see. To clarify, Update Service launches automatically in two situations:

1. After any new installation of NI software, if the "request for notifications" checkbox is enabled in the installer.
  2. Weekly, according to the "periodic checking" schedule that's set in the Preferences.

My previous instructions just refer to disabling the first scenario. To disable the second type of automatic check for updates, you just need to go to File... Preferences... in Update Service and deselect the Enable periodic checking.

LaRisa Mohr
National Instruments R&D
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(8,751 Views)

Hi, 

My installation command line looks like this: 

setup.exe "Install_SE.txt" /r:n /qb /AcceptLicenses yes /disableNotificationCheck
But I still get Update notification. 

Toms 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(8,540 Views)

OK. I know, that it can be done manually. But if I have to install several machines it is very uncomfortable.

We normally do a fully automated installation by a deployment software.

So is there a solution to deactivate the periodic checking by a parameter or even disabling the installation of the update-service during the installation?

If not can the setting be done by an Windows-Batch-File after the installation?

In earlier Versions (for example LabVIEW Runtime 2016 f5) it was possible to install the Runtime without the Update-Service
by calling

setup.exe /prop NIUPDATESERVICENOINSTALL=1

Further Details:

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z0000019LfCSAU&l=de-DE 

In newer versions this parameter isn't supported anymore ☹️

Do you have an alternative solution?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,094 Views)