LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Energy Management System

I am developing a home energy management system. I want it to have 3 inputs: solar, wind and the existing grid.  But I only want the grid to be used during the cheapest times of day. I also want to have a battery to store energy to be used during peak times of the day in order to save money.

I am unsure how to set up the timing elements in labVIEW in order to only allow energy from the grid during the cheapest hours of day, or when there is not enough power coming from the solar/wind powered battery using a loop of some kind.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,659 Views)

Are you talking about a simulation or a real system? You also need the power demand of the home as a function of time.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,638 Views)

For now it is a simulation

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,633 Views)

What you are doing is referred to as "Peak Shaving" our grid tie alternative energy systems can do that.

Peak Shaving
Peak shaving is a technique that is used to reduce electrical power consumption during periods of
maximum demand on the power utility. Thus saving substantial amounts of money due to peaking
charges.

Peak demand typically occurs between 3:00 PM and 8:00 PM during the months of July and August,
which is the same time non-industrial consumers typically demand the maximum power for family
activities and air conditioning. 

So use one of the timing vi's like "Get date and time in seconds" to find out what time it is and some logic to switch your grid, solar, battery, charger, and inverter in and out as necessary and when possible.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,610 Views)

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,581 Views)

I am stuck on what kind of logic I should use in order to use only Wind/Solar power coming in when it is available over the Grid, but when it is not then the Grid will be used. Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,536 Views)

The logic is math.

S=Solar

W=Wind

D=demand

G=grid.

G=D-W-S  If G<=0 then Grid is not used.  (or if possible when it is negative, power flows back to the grid.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,532 Views)