From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High speed serial data collection

Thats what I get for rushing... the 2 should be a 1Smiley Embarassed

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 13
(889 Views)

Thanks Jeff. I will look it over when I get into the office tomorrow. I had started disabling sections in order to try and narrow down why I couldn't get consistent amount of bytes each time. The reason I was reading one byte was to sync on the message before we added handshaking.

Thanks,

Matt

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 13
(868 Views)

I think I read somewhere that USB can have a significant latency on each call, possibly on the order of 1 ms. So even though it can transmit data quite quickly, the turn around times can cause problems.  Jeff has shown you how to separate the first byte without a separate USB call.  You may need to experiment with the number of bytes to read to find a value which works.

Buffers set by the OS on the USB side as well as any serial buffers, hardware or software, could affect the performance.  It may not be possible to control the sizes (or even to easily find what the sizes are) of those buffers.

4096 bytes at 3096774 baud takes ~1.3 ms.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 13
(848 Views)