cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High speed and Low Speed CAN

Hi

This is my first time to use CAN.

I have LabVIEW  2010 and  LabVIEW FPGA

I have NI 3110 Dual-Core Industrial Controller with Windows OS, NI 9157, NI 9852 CAN Low Speed Module and NI 9853 CAN High Speed Module to be used to monitor the CAN messages from an ECU unit.

The connection is done as the following:

·         The High speed CAN is connected to the NI-CAN 9853 (Port 0)

·         The low speed CAN is connected to the NI-CAN 9852 (Port 0)

·         The baud rate of the 9853 is 500kbps

·         The baud rate of the 9852 is 50kbps

·         Both modules are set to “Listen Only”

·         “Module Clock” in both modules is set to 20MHz

·         CAN networks are 29-bit and 11-bit.

My consideration is to read all the messages from both modules without losing any message. Below is a picture from the block diagram on the FPGA target, is this the best way to read CAN messages from both modules? Also, could you please suggest what is the best way to read the messages on Host vi?

Unfortunately, I do not have the module right now to do some test, so that I cannot get the iteration time (“CAN Low Speed Loop” and “CAN High Speed Loop” show in the picture below), could you please tell how to calculate the iteration time needed for each loop depending on the above information.

FPGA Code.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,325 Views)

The way that you have proposed to use the CAN module to monitor the BUS is a bad idea.  We have a prebuilt driver that will do most of this work for you.  You will need to download and install the NI-CAN 2.7.3 and then you will be able to use the example finder.  In the example finder look for.

The example finder is accessed through the Help menu.

Jacob K
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,302 Views)