LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with .avi file processing

Hi,
   I need to use IMAQ vision for LabVIEW to do some image processing applications (edge detection, filtering) for .avi files. I am a beginner with LabVIEW and do not have much experince with it. Could anybody suggest some good tutorials (or books) on this topic. The NI.com website has a set of examples, but it does not give much information on how to build the applications. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

Neel

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,725 Views)

Neel,

I had to come up to speed on Vision solo so know how it feels.  The best way it to learn the vision software to create your task using the Vison Builder Application.  Export it into LabVIEW and look at the code behind the front panel and see how it is put together.  In most cases you will be able to figure out what you need by using this method.  Also, look at the shipped examples for Vision.

Being a beginner to LabVIEW and vision will be difficult to get started.  There are many resources available including NI Training.  Do a seach for, "LabVIEW beginner resources" in the discussion forum and several pages of information are available.  If you have a specific question, post it and I will get you a response.

Matt

If you need to contract it out www.CompleteAutomatedSolutions.com

Matthew Fitzsimons

Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW 6.1 ... 2013, LVOOP, GOOP, TestStand, DAQ, and Vison
Message 2 of 3
(2,722 Views)
Hi Matt, Neel -

Matt's suggestion of building a processing script and exporting it to LabVIEW code is a sound one.  I have a detail correction, though:  Vision Assistant, and not Vision Builder AI, is the tool you want to use for this.  Vision Assistant is a prototyping tool provided with the NI Vision functions that is designed to let you apply any available function to your image and see its result instantly.  It will export code that is meant to be studied and edited, and will use the simplest functions possible in a reeadable left-to-right program.

Vision Builder, on the other hand, is a standalone program designed for creating inline machine vision process inspections.  It doesn't provide support for many of the image processing functions available in NI Vision (even if you call Vision Assistant from it, VA will have a limited set of available functions and options).  In addition, although it can export code to LabVIEW for the purpose of tweaking or customizing an inspection, the code generated is not meant for editing or study.  It is very compact and uses conglomerate VIs that shouldn't be implemented in your own programs.

David Staab, CLA
Staff Systems Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,708 Views)