From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with String Parsing & Tokens

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had maybe a good a example on how to parse the following string of data that starts by a "~" char. Here is an example of the string message that will be reported ~00S008TST3;4;5~00S006TST3;5 on the serial port. I need to parse out each message starting at ~ and break each message down using the following header format below.

Header| ID |Type| Length| Data 1 byte| 2 bytes| 1 byte| 3 bytes| 128 bytes of data max

Header = The header will be a ‘~’ character.

ID = Default value is ‘00’.

Type= Command A,B,C,D or E

Length = The length is the number of bytes of data passed.

Data = All data will be separated by ‘;’. If a variable value is not currently available, a ‘;’ with no data should be placed in the variable location.

What I'd like to do is place each data message into a cluster with a byte array of data on the bottom so that I can past the cluster to another vi to process the message.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,299 Views)
What have you tried? The spreadsheet string to array with a ; as a delimiter will work. For that matter, you should set the serial read to terminate on that so you would get a single data packet with each read. After that, a simple scan from string can be used. I'm not sure why you would care about the header.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,295 Views)

You could try something like this, but this is provided you will not get any ~ as data in the messages.

For the cluster I suggest you use a type definition.

example.png

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,293 Views)

Thanks guys for your help. You guys sure make my life easier 😃 Brett could you repost something that's closer to Labview V11. That's what I'm using.

BTW, there will never be any ~ in the data, so this scan should work. The Data is simply separated by ";" and are all INT values. Now with the data stored in an array in the cluster, is there an easy way to typecast a cluster of datatypes over the data array so the data lines up byte by byte even if some data has odd bytes counts. For example one dataset returned might be 9;999;9999;999  and the data cluster relating to that would be input1(U8),input2(U16),input3(U16),input4(u16). I would probably have to scan the data array and load each datatype individually versus typecasting a cluster over that data array is this right?

Thanks again guys...

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,285 Views)