LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Controlling the HP E1411B multimeter with LabView

Hi -

I'm using LabView 7.1, and trying to control the HP E1411B multimeter in a Textronix VX1410 frame, using a VXI-MXI-2 interface.  I've read that this is a register based device, which means what?  I can't control it using the VISA method in LabView?  I've been successful in this with other devices, so I'm guessing it can't be done because it doesn't work.  I also downloaded both the drivers for this device from the driver database, and neither work.  I can't seem to figure out to nake them work either.  Can anyone help?  I just want to use the MM to make simple measurements and display them in LabView.  If I wanted to create my own driver, what would be the best way to communicate with it?  Thanks.

Charlie
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,898 Views)

It's been several years since I did this with the same meter and mainframe, but yes, it can be done in LabVIEW and it does use VISA. A register based VXI instrument is programmed with the VISA Out 16/VISA In 16 commands. You are writing numeric information to specific memory locations. This is different than the message based instruments that you might be used to. A message based instrument is sent text commands such as *IDN?. A register based instrument is faster to program and read because it does not have to parse the string commands sent to it.

I had a look at the 7.0 driver and one thing that you should do is replace the Old VISA Open in the initialize VI. Right click on it and select replace and then pick the VISA Open on the Instrument I/O>VISA palette. Delete the string control called "instrument descriptor" and wire the visa session to the connector pane where the string control was. The Old VISA Open is not compatible with newer versions of VISA. After you've done that, try to run the initialize function all by itself. Make sure that the instrument is found in MAX and that you select it with the VISA control. If you get any errors after this, post back with the actual error code that you get.

Message 2 of 4
(2,893 Views)
Thanks, that worked great.  I can now read the measurements in LabView no problem. 
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,881 Views)
 Sir,

I want to make automatic test setup for testing accelerometer. My resources are Test station PC with windows 2000, Agilent E1401B High power mainframe with slot 0 controller, Slot 0 controller is NI VXI-MXI-2 controller, shaker etc. MXI-2 bus begins at PCI at the PC and goes to VXI backplane. Agilent E1401B cage have Agilent E1411B 51/2 Multimeter (in slot 3), Etec Test Head Support Module (slot 2), Etec Digital stimulus response module, ETEC test head I/O panel etc. we have old version labview-2009. using labview i want to control my test whole setup.

Procedure for test setup is that i need to give power supply to shaker. Also i have to give input signal of 1kHz to shaker for vibration. Accelerometer will be mounted on shaker. Accelerometer output voltage has to be measured with agilent DMM E1411B in VXI cage.

I have installed NI-VISA n NI-VXI driver and i was trying to program it using visa VIs in LABVIEW, but couldn't succeed.

First, i am trying to make a simple program which can read resistance and voltage from HP E1411B DMM. There is difficulties in using VISA Out and VISA In VI. to measure DC voltage value from DMM, how should i give command to DMM using VISA out, because input to VISA out is numerial value so how can i give command to DMM. VISA In has only input offset and address space, so how will i know that which offset setting will show voltage value.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,546 Views)