LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Search not working, LabView 2018 for Mac

Solved!
Go to solution

I just yesterday installed LabView 2018 for Mac on a new computer. Several aspects of the Help functionality are not working. I'll describe some examples of what I've seen below.

WORKING

Selecting Help:LabVIEW Help from menu opens the LabVIEW Help home page in my default web browser.

Clicking on a topic in the presented list takes my to that Help page within the web browser.

Turning on "Context Help" in LabVIEW opens a separate window with help info for the selected function.

NOT WORKING

From the LabVIEW help home page, clicking on the Search function takes me back to LabVIEW and lets me enter a search term. However, when I run the search, it directs me back to the web browser and a blank page appears w/ an error message.

If I right-click on a built-in function (for example, Type Cast) and select Help in that context menu, it directs me to the web browser and a blank page appears w/ an error message.

In the Context Help window, if I click on the "Detailed Help" link, it directs me to the web browser and a blank page appears w/ an error message.

The web pages w/ errors do not even have a URL, so I'm not certain what it is trying to access.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,268 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author TJR_741

RJT_741,

For the specific behavior you report about Context Help not showing the LabVIEW Help page when clicking it for a specific function in the block diagram, please refer to CAR#712577 in the LabVIEW 2018 SP1 Patch Details

I have LabVIEW 2019  installed in my MacBook computer (Mac OS X Sierra 10.12.6) and tested your behaviors. All of them worked fine for me. My default browser is Google Chrome (Version 76.0.3809.100 (Official Build) (64-bit)). I presume it would be useful to know:

1. Which operating system are you using?
  2. Which LabVIEW version? (you mention 18, but are there any patches installed?)
  3. Which Max OS X version?
  4. Which is your default browser and its version?

I would not be surprised if this "disconnection" between LabVIEW and the Help website happened because of a firewall, antivirus or setting running in the background and impeding the communication between the two applications. 

All the best,

Message 2 of 4
(2,196 Views)

Oscar,

The problems described as CAR #712577 and CAR #714945 were the issue I encountered. I downloaded and installed the SP1 patch, and the problems are resolved. Thank you for your help. I've answered your questions for other users reference.

1&3. OS: macOS 10.14.6

2. LabVIEW version: was 18.0.1 (64-bit), is now 18.0.1f4

4. Safari v12.1.2

Message 3 of 4
(2,170 Views)

Thanks for the follow-up, TJR_741!

Hopefully you are able now to work correctly with the software, and others can benefit from your expertise.

All the best,

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,156 Views)