LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello all

@UliB wrote:

@MaSta wrote:

[...] Debugging is even worse (works only if you don't load the VI into the sub panel for debugging, else you cannot access the block diagram anymore). [...]

There is a "Allow User to Open Diagram" option in the right-click- menu for a subpanel in edit mode. If a VI is running in the subpanel you can right-click the subpanel and chose "Open Block Diagram".

Wow, that one was hidden! Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 16
(491 Views)

@GerdW wrote:

Hi MaSta,

@MaSta wrote:

@GerdW: I'm pretty sure he meant "one and the same". If you also read it as that, then how it's possible? That'd be magic. 

No one forces you to place that control inside a specific page of your tab, it can hover over the tab…

Then it's not "in the page of the tab", it's outside of it.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 16
(482 Views)

@MaSta wrote:

I have both in my current project, tabs and sub panels. Loading sub panels is a pita. ...

What's the benefit in sort of recreating your own tab, except from the fact that a sub panel control is a universal placeholder? 

Benefit 

Well, now you have modular code that you can expand or reuse easily.

If you think Subpanels are a PITA, launch the subvis as Floating windows... heck, you don't like radio buttons? Use system boolean Buttons to launch the subvis modal to LabVIEW.   Or, use a custom runtime menu like many applications do.  WHY NOT just have a custom TOOL BAR that launches your subvis?  There are FOUR different options for your Main.vi to present the UX you client wants without changing any functionality of the application.   

I Hate Tabs.   They force me to couple the GUI and the code functionality.  Sloppy, programming!  Can you show me an example of another Windows Application that uses Tab Containers on the Main UI?

Yes, there are places where Tabs are useful.   Take Windows Device Manager as an example.  There it a Tab Page for Windows Power Management settings under each USB Hub dialog.  Three Modal Dialogs away from the Main UI.  You can even find Tab Controls inside some of the Teststand Menu selection Prompts.  Microsoft Office applications Have some Tab containers inside Dialogs that launch from the Customizable Tool bars.  Excel Workbooks DO have a page selector at the bottom of each Workbook and, a page selector to easily switch between active workbooks but, you would need to set the Application Options to open a specific workbook(s) to bypass the main UI which opens no files by default. 

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 13 of 16
(460 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

@altenbach wrote:

I would place a shared control outside the tab structure. You can always disable it based on the tab value if it should not be used when certain pages are selected.

I wouldn't use a Tab Container at all!  Yes, I still hate tabs!  My common approach to avoid the ungodly Tab container is to use a subpanel container instead and select the VI to load into that subpanel container with a custom Radio Button that looks and acts exactly like a tab page selection.

What I like to do is make the tabs transparent and use Radio Buttons to switch tabs. Then it looks like the entire screen is changing on a button press and it's super simple to implement.  

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
Message 14 of 16
(439 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

If you think Subpanels are a PITA, launch the subvis as Floating windows... heck, you don't like radio buttons? Use system boolean Buttons to launch the subvis modal to LabVIEW.   Or, use a custom runtime menu like many applications do.  WHY NOT just have a custom TOOL BAR that launches your subvis?  There are FOUR different options for your Main.vi to present the UX you client wants without changing any functionality of the application.   

I Hate Tabs.   They force me to couple the GUI and the code functionality.  Sloppy, programming!  Can you show me an example of another Windows Application that uses Tab Containers on the Main UI?

Combine the best of both worlds, have tab controls with sub-panels in each tab! 😉

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 16
(405 Views)

@Yamaeda wrote:

@JÞB wrote:

Combine the best of both worlds, have tab controls with sub-panels in each tab! 😉

2eNv.gif

You missed the point.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 16
(368 Views)