LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having trouble to comunicate to the USB to Parallel device

Hi

I have a USB to parralle device for my laptop since it does not have a parallel port on it. The device I am using is a Tripplite and it show in my device manenger as USB printer. I use the Visa Driver wizard to create an INF file.  I went back into my device manerger and it list it as NI-Visa USB Device which show me that I created the INF file proper. I went into Measurement & Automation Explore and open up the device and interface, which showed the USB as a raw device. When I place a meter on pin 2 and pin 18  of my USB device, The meter will show 5 VDC I then sent a comand on the test panel of a value of zero to turn off the data line and the meter will drop to zero. I then send a value of 8 to turn al lports back on and the device will not respond. I am new to this and I can usual figure out a problem but I am having trouble and I feel that I am missing something. I am hoping some one can point me in the right direction. I would like to use the port to control a device by using the 8 bit port.

Thanks

John

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,392 Views)

Maybe if you would explain what test panel you are talking about?

For USB Raw, you should look at the series of nuggets written by Intaris. The first one is here.

Before you reconfigured the device so that it's not a parallel port, did you try a VISA Write or Read to LPT?

Message 2 of 4
(2,390 Views)

Hi and thanks for the reply. The test panel is in the measurment explore which my understanding allows you to test a created Visa. I clicked on the tab that allow me to write data to thedevice. I did not try a Visa to write to the device, I will give that a try.

Thanks

John

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,366 Views)

And don't forget to use the original inf file if you want to test it as a parallel port.

Yes, the test panel would allow you to test the USB RAW but of course you would need details from the vendor on what to write for it to make any sense.

Message 4 of 4
(2,359 Views)