LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have LbVw 7.1 & DBase ToolKit, then install 8.2 but can't install DB tools.

I have LbVw 7.1 installed with the Database Connectivity toolset installed, subsequently installed LbVw 8.2 but can't install the Database toolkit to 8.2; supposedly could uninstall both 7.1 & 8.2 but should be easier method.

There is a KnowledgeBase article [from 2005] that indicates that it should be possible to install the toolkit to all versions. However, it [and the Install program] seems to assume that none of them have the Toolkit installed; when I tried that [by uninstalling it on the oldest version] the Installer installed it into the latest version only.

Thanks
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,432 Views)
Are you referring to this article? Did you use the "Complete" installation option?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,426 Views)

Yes, that was the article and I did use the "Complete" install option. As mentioned that option seems to be only available if the DBC toolkit is not installed on any version: "Repair", "Modify" or "Delete" were the only ones available [I think] if it was already installed on one version.

I then deleted the DBC from the previous version and then used the "Complete" option but that seemed to install only on the latest version; as it is the oldest version I'm using mostly I had to uninstall the new 8.2 version to be able to get the DBC back on that one. Of course I may have missed a step and will go back and try it again when I find the time unless there are other avenues anyone can suggest.

Thanks.  

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,419 Views)
Something more to consider is that there was a thread recently (last month or so) in which is was stated that V8.x broke the Database Connectivity Toolkit - something about how the variant datatype was changed as I recall. I'm sorry I don't remember the specifics.

Where are you at in your project? There are alternatives to the DCT for connecting to databases that, for me, even simplify the process. See this thread for a discussion.

Mike...

Message Edited by mikeporter on 07-29-2007 05:39 AM

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,417 Views)

Thanks for the info; I didn't see that thread you were referring to [on the variant type] but I think there may have been something along that line in the release notes, however I think that I did get the DBCT to install on 8.2 [shown on the functions palette] though I didn't actually try it out.

The problem is that I have the projects completed to run under 7.1 but am upgrading to the 8.2 for the additional features, notably the project management capabilities. While my VIs that use the DBC functions aren't terribly elaborate I do need to be able to support applications written in both and both using the DBC.

I did read that thread on your alternative drivers and will take a look at using them as they may be the simpler solution.

However, as the DBCT is supposedly an NI supported product it should work as advertised in both operation and installation though, of course, I may not have followed the exact steps required.

Anyway, thanks again for the info.

Jim 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,410 Views)
As a note to Mike's concern, I'm using the DCT with LabVIEW 8.2.1 with no problem. However, I'm only using the basic VI's and not delving into the more complicated ones, e.g., parameterized queries.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,399 Views)
I've used the DCT since it was first introduced.  I use it in 8.2.1 now and have been able to accomplish everything that I want to do with it.  When I have questions I contact NI and get the support that I need.  I'm not that active on this forum so didn't see this thread until today but, if I can be of any help, let me know.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,341 Views)
I don't believe that 8.2.1 broke the variante to LV data -- although it may be the case that 8.5 does.  So far what I've seen is that this just means that you need to "relink" to the function.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,320 Views)
And for those of you who are early adopters, I've just updated to LV 8.5 and my project -- including DCT! -- functions perfectly.  There is a new folder in the <labview path>\vi.lib\addons\ folder that is called:

_DB Variant To Data

in prior iterations of the DCT there was a similarly named folder in:

<labview path>\vi.lib\addons\database

This earlier folder needed to be zipped -- so it could no longer be found by LV (8.5) when it loaded -- then my DCT functions loaded and compiled without problem.  Prior to zipping up the older _DB Variant To Data folder loading DCT function generated an error in LV 8.5 around the DB Variant to Data functions.

I suspect that as the release matures there will be a more "natural" way to transition 8.2.1 DCT-related functions -- perhaps a reinstall of the DCT or????  But the procedure I've just described worked.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,310 Views)

With some welcome assistance from NI Support I've subsequently found that it is possible to copy the Database subdirectory and the vi.lib\AddOns\database directory along with the Help and examples files from 8.2 to 7.1 and have the DBC Toolkit work in both versions of LabView.

It is also possible - as suggested in another Knowledge Base Article [KBA] - to copy the same directories from a 7.1 installation to a temporary directory, uninstall the DBC, copy the temporary files back to the 7.1 and then do the installation of the DBC to the 8.2 version. However while this does work I'm still not sure whether I may have missed a step or have a file of two missing that will come back to haunt me.

There is an additional KBA that describes how to install toolkits on multiple versions of LabView but that does not work as advertised with the DBC as the install program does not provide the option of selecting the install directory as required - though the article did suggest the above avenue of approach. That method is also similar to that required for installing and using NIDAQ (Legacy) on other versions of the LabView.

Jim

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,283 Views)