From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardware Handles cause 64-bit LabVIEW to Crash

Solved!
Go to solution

I am trying to create a VI to read an NI DMM using 64-bit LabVIEW 2015. I can place the configure DMM VI from the measurement I/O functions pallet. When I right-click, and try to create a control for the intrument handle, LabVIEW crashes. I get a pop-up dialog that tells me LabVIEW 15.0.1f2 Development System has stopped working.Other instruments I tried seem to have the same problem.

Everything seems to work fine in 32-bit LabVIEW, so as a work-around, that's what I am doing. I am calling the VIs in 64-bit TestStand, but I just changed the adapter settings to use 32-bit LabVIEW, and that seems to work.

I tried reinstalling NI-DMM, but that didn't fix the issue.

Can anyone tell me why I can't use 64-bit LabVIEW with the measurement VIs?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,755 Views)

Hi Jo-Jo,

What OS are you using? It is surprising that you are seeing this behavior with LabVIEW 64 bit. Generally speaking, if you can use the 32-bit environment, it is strongly recommended to do so.

LabVIEW 64-bit vs. 32-bit Applications

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/71E9408E6DEAD76C8625760B006B6F98

What specific DMM driver are you using? I would recommend using NI DMM 15.2 if possible to have the most updated version of the 2015 driver.

NI-DMM 15.2

http://www.ni.com/download/ni-dmm-15.2/6036/en/

I have a few other thoughts of ways to troubleshoot. Pending your response we can take action accordingly.

Regards,

Finch Train

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,685 Views)

Sorry, I forget to mention the OS. I am using Windows 7 64-bit. The DMM is the PXI-4070.

Why is it recommended to avoid the 64-bit version of LabVIEW?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,678 Views)

@Jo-Jo wrote:

Sorry, I forget to mention the OS. I am using Windows 7 64-bit. The DMM is the PXI-4070.

Why is it recommended to avoid the 64-bit version of LabVIEW?

1. You do not gain real benefit over the recommended 32-bit version, unless you need to address unusually large memory
  2. Lots of add-ons are not supported, plus drivers can be problematic too, but I admit I do not have personal experiance with this, I never used x64 LabVIEW.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,671 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jo-Jo

Jo-Jo,

That is definitely not expected behavior. 64-bit LabVIEW is typically very stable, as is NI-DMM (in both 32-bit and 64-bit processes), particularly for such a basic use case.

Particularly since you're seeing the issue with more than just NI-DMM, I suspect that your LabVIEW installation may be corrupted. This will take a while, but I would recommend running a repair of LabVIEW and NI-DMM from Windows' "Programs and Features" (formerly Add/Remove Programs), and if that still doesn't fix it, a repair of all National Instruments software.

Alternatively, you may also want to try upgrading LabVIEW 2015 to the latest dot release. You can do so by using the NI Update Service. This will also allow you to upgrade other installed products (such as NI-DMM) to their latest released versions as well.

Tobias
Principal Software Engineer
Driver Software
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,667 Views)

I'll have to try to fix the installation later. I did need 64-bit LabVIEW because I was collecting and analyzing tons of data, and I kept running out of memory, but I'm past that, and now 32-bit will work for what I am doing.

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,656 Views)