LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hack WoW addon to adjust GUI in labview?

If you don't play world of warcraft, you may want to stop reading. Or don't! 🙂

In WoW, common practice for top players is to use 'addons' to allow them to configure their GUI to show important information to optimize their performance. For example, an icon may appear if a particular spell is ready to use, or you or your enemy gain an important temporary buff.

These icons/'auras' are configured via the addon's in-game interface, and you can save configuration files that store how all your icons are set up.

Would it be a fool's errand to attempt to make a labview script that reads a config file from such an addon, and replicates it in labview, for the purpose of having more programmatic control over laying out your WoW GUI? Of course this would be of no use if you could not also save the labview-modified GUI as a config file, and be able to open it inside the game seamlessly.

I have a moderate amount of coding knowledge in both labview and a few other languages, but not LUA. I program GUIs/'human machine interfaces' with labview as a profession. Thanks for any input!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(681 Views)

Just figure out how to do it without LabVIEW, then it should be a simple matter to do it with LabVIEW.  I like to build helper apps for any game that I can, just because it's fun to do.  And it keeps you LabVIEW smart.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(658 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(352 Views)