LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HH806AU

Is anyone else using the Omega HH806AU thermocouple meter?  I'm looking for a driver for it.  It connects via USB, and if I can avoid having to figure out the code I'd like to.  Let me know if you can help.  Thanks!

Matt

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(4,682 Views)

Matt,

You will be able to talk to the device using NI-VISA.  The difficult of this depends on whether or not your Omega instrument is USB Test and Measurement Class compliant.  If so, you could program it using NI-VISA using commands from the manufactuer similar to a GPIB instrument.  If not, you will have to create your own driver.   From what I can tell, the device is not USB TMC compliant, but I couldn't find out for certain either way.

I couldn't find a pre written instrument driver on ni.com/ident or anywhere else online.

This forum also had some information.

Ben

National Instruments
Certified LabVIEW Associate Developer
Certified TestStand Developer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(4,646 Views)

The thermocouple meter comes with some software that lets you perform basic functions via USB (download stored data, request a single acquisition, clear memory, etc).  I found the attached llb file inside of the software directory.  It looks like there are vi's for a few of the each function the software does (most likely used by the software to send and receive commands from the unit), but I can't get any of them to work independently of the executable file. There are loads of global variables and missing sub-vi's, so I'm not really sure where to go from here.  My guess is that the company that wrote this software used LabView, and then turned it into an *.exe with Application Builder.  Anyone have any thoughts on how to make these vi's work within my own software instead of having to use their's?  Thanks!

Matt

Message Edited by McMurray on 02-09-2009 12:36 PM
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(4,616 Views)

If you think the MFG wrote the software in LabVIEW (probably true).  Don't you suppose they might have some code you can start from?

I'd give their support dept a call

Jeff

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(4,607 Views)

Jeff,

I've talked to the manufacturer's tech support and they won't share the code, saying something about how it's a violation of their license, etc.  They only support the usage of their own software.  So, it looks like I'm stuck figuring it out on my own.  It was a good thought though...

Matt

Message Edited by McMurray on 02-09-2009 02:23 PM
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(4,603 Views)

Good Afternoon,

Well looking into the code, it writes, at some points, via visa. The missing global references a "comm port", so it may be that the unit appears as a serial port on when plugged in, which can be checked either in device manager, or I would first look to see if it shows up in Measurement and Application Explorer (MAX). As to the missing vi's, they are probably in the exe, if in truth it was written in LabVIEW. One check, if you have installed it on a machine that didn't already have LabVIEW installed (as your development machine obviously does) is to see if during the installation and see if the LabVIEW Runtime engine was installed. As it (the existing llb) is in version 7.x the executable may actually be "perused" by making a copy of the exe and renaming it as ".llb" in versions up to around 8.0 this would allow you to see the heirarchy, and possibly use the subvi's although the diagrams will be deleted. Of course, since you don't know what goes on in them the best you have are "black boxes" with cryptic names.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(4,581 Views)
Your device has a built in USB to serial converter. So perhaps you can use some RS232 spy software like portmon, and reverse enginier the protocol.

Besides which, my opinion is that Express VIs Carthage must be destroyed deleted
(Sorry no Labview "brag list" so far)
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(4,574 Views)

Does anyone have labview drivers to run the HH806AU thermocouple meter?  It's been 4 years, I guess I'm hoping someone has come up with a solution to this.  

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,936 Views)

Hi there! Im having some trouble with connecting my HH806AU to my computer.  When I connect it to my computer I get error message which says  " Comport error". What could be the problem? Previously it was working fine. I didnot change anything.  Any idea on how I should solve this problem? I have uninstalled the software and reinstalled it on windows  xp but still get the same message. I have also installed the software in windows 7 but still get the same error message. Your assistance will be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,742 Views)

Hello Red rooster,

I have obtained the protocol from Omega, but I have some difficulties finding a way to write the code for the HH806AU, attached to this topic.

Would you be able to help me writing the code to control the device from the computer.

I am only interested to define the TC type and read the data.

Thanks a lot for any suggestion 🙂
Antonio

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,276 Views)