LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HDF5 LbaVIEW example gives error 13

I just downloaded the HDF5 for labview.  I get an error 13 when I run the save-image.vi example at h5labview::H5Fopen.  It says:

Call Library Function Node in H5F.lvlib:H5Fopen.vi:6750002->save-image.vi

I can find the error code discription for this.  I was wondering if I'm missing a dll.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,110 Views)

Where did you download the library from?  There are several LabVIEW HDF5 implementations available. This one is probably the most current.

Also, please include at least a code snippet with your question. HDF5 can be complex, depending upon how you choose to call it. Code will help us give you a good answer.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,068 Views)

That's where I down loaded from. (This one)  and the example on that page is the one I'm getting the error, the Open File VI.  I'm on Windows 7, LabVIEW 2013 but really what I want is the error code descriptions so I can tell why I'm getting the error.  It wasn't obvious to me where those are.  I thought the error might be because the file "simple.h5" didn't exist.  Or maybe the error was from and incorrect dll location or version.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(4,053 Views)

I have not used that code, but you may consider posting you question to their forums. Make sure you attach your code.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(4,045 Views)

Wait, what?  My code is the example code.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,042 Views)

I am getting the same error.  Did you find a solution?

Kind regards,

David

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,959 Views)

Nope, we haven't worked on this part for a while.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,953 Views)

Greetings aml1138 and dpak

When installing the h5labview from the links, did you match the library architecture to your LabVIEW architecture? (that is, if LabVIEW is 32 bits and you run a 64 bits machine, you still installed the 32 version?)

After installing the library, did you add the files hdf5dll.dllszip.dll and zlib.dll in the resource folder of LabVIEW's install directory?

Also, can you post a screenshot of the error window? Thanks in advance.

Warm Regards, 

Luis J.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,931 Views)

I have found a solution to this particular problem.  I updated the VI package manager (I'm afraid I do not know what the previous version was) and reinstalled the package and the 64bit HDF5 libraries.  Since then, it has worked as intended.  

I do think it is a shame the NI still have not ported the HDF5 plugin over to the 64 bit architecture as it is such a commonly used filetype in many areas of science.  I have been led to this format in two completely separate projects - one involving mass spectrometry and another involving artificial intelligence - both of these communities use hdf5 as a widely useable data storage and interchange format.  I know it is used widely elsewhere as well.  I need to use it becuause that is how the data is available to me.

Whilst the h5labview add-on is an acceptable work around for me, providing I can keep it working, requiring it (and the attendant hdf5 dlls, which will have to be installed separately) will potentially make it more difficult to share any vi's/built exe's I write in these areas.  I worry that a falsely perceived conflict could exist between tdms (a format I use and like) and hdf5 becuase tdms is an NI filetype whereas hdf5 could be viewed from within NI as a competitor format and this could result in a barrier preventing both formats from being equally available to LabVIEW users.  Is this a reason why the hdf5 plugin has been so slow to migrate to the 64 bit platform?

I'm sure the space is big enough for both formats?  

I hope so.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,914 Views)