From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics problem when upgrading to LabVIEW 8

I have just updated to LabVIEW 8, and now when I open my VIs most of the front panel widgets look like they are being rendered in 8-bit color, rather than the 32-bit that my display is set for.  Text generally looks OK, but buttons, table borders and column headers, etc. all look pixellated (sp?).  This includes the toolbar controls (run, stop, etc.).  The block diagram and everything else on the window look fine.  Any ideas as to what happened?  It all looked fine with version 7.1.

Thanks for your assistance!

-Joe
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,321 Views)
It might help to give a bit more detail. For example, what is you OS (windows, Mac, linux...)?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,311 Views)

I'm using Windows XP, and all of my widgets are the Modern style, if that helps.  This has happened across multiple VIs.  It occurs with a new VI that I just created, as well.

Any other info I can give to help?  I've attached a random new VI in case that helps (does it look wonky to anyone else?), along with a picture of what it looks like to me, in case it looks fine to everyone else.

Thanks again,

-Joe

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,301 Views)
(Well, JPG is not a great format to demonstrate the problem, because it can create similar artifacts by its lossy compression even if the original image is perfect ;).)

The attached VI look great on my rig under LabVIEW 8.0.1, no dithering at all. (Have you upgraded to 8.0.1?).

Personally, I would blame the graphics driver. What kind of graphics card do you have? Is ther a newer driver available? What happens if you turn down the graphics acceleration a few notches?
(control panel..display properties..advanced..troubleshooting).

Are you running on a lapbtop via batteries? Some graphics card optionally reduce power consumption by simplifying the graphics. (For examply my ATI Mobility Fire GL 9000 has a power setting for "Allow automatic color depth reduction").

Try switching to 16bit color, then back to 32bit? Have you rebooted lately?

Message Edited by altenbach on 06-14-2006 12:14 PM

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,295 Views)
I worried about the JPEG attachment, but it wouldn't accept a bitmap or tiff file, and gif actually did add compression artifacts, whereas the jpeg was relatively true to what I was seeing.  I suppose I could zip a bitmap or tiff.

I have upgraded to 8.0.1, and restarted my computer thereby, just yesterday.  I don't actually remember whether I saw this problem before I upgraded from 8.0 or not - I would guess yes, but I'm not sure.

I have an NVIDIA Quadro NVS with AGP8X.  I'm not sure about how to check if there is a newer driver, but I did try toning down the hardware acceleration a couple notches or entirely, and that didn't change the problem.

I am on a desktop computer, so no worries there (but good to know!).

I have tried switching to 16-bit color, and then back.  Neither changed anything.

I appreciate your assistance - any other ideas?  🙂

-Joe
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,280 Views)
I am using that video card in a dual display system with no problems.  Check to see what bit depth LabVIEW thinks it is running.  Run the attached VI.  The Depth value should be 32.  If it is 8 or 16, you have a setting someplace that is off.  Is your desktop set to Color quality->Highest (32 bit)?

As a side note, the PNG format is usually best for LabVIEW forum posting.  It has lossless compression, supports 32-bit color, and is supported by all major browsers.  It was invented to replace and surpass GIF, since GIF was proprietary at one point.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,263 Views)
My apologies.  Too early in the morning.  I just noticed you already tried the desktop bit depth change.  It will still be interesting to find out what LabVIEW thinks the bit depth is.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,262 Views)

No problem - early morning isn't my best time, either. 😉

The display VI you attached reports that I am running 1280x1024, with 32 depth.

-Joe

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,260 Views)
The classic reply is to upgrade your video driver.  This may or may not work for you, but it won't cost you much.  Make sure you get the Quadro drivers, not the consumer ones.  I forwarded your question to someone more knowledgeable than I.  Good luck.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,242 Views)
Querying one of the LabVIEW developers got this response:

"Are you on a multi-monitor system?  If so, are all the monitors set for 32 bit color mode?
Does your system even allow you to set your display into 8-bit mode?

Try this:
  • Close LabVIEW
  • Rename LabVIEW.ini to LabVIEW.ini.bak (or anything really)
  • Relaunch LabVIEW and try your controls again"
If this doesn't help, let me know and I can pursue it further.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,219 Views)