From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graph property node error 1077

I have read the other questions about error 1077 on a XY Graph Property node (relating to setting the Active Plot). In my case, the problem is encountered only occasionally and is not repeatable. I have a sub-VI (attached LV 7.0) that creates a plot and then sets the line width of each plot using a Property Node. I have taken care to write to the Graph in the first sequence step and set the property node in the second sequence step.

I have another program that calls this sub-VI 3 times and makes 3 plots with 3 property nodes to set the line width which is run in a For-Loop. It would be nice if the output formatting of the sub-VI graph would be used in the calling VI, but it doesn't do so. This works and runs hundreds of times without a problem, but then every once in a while I get the "Error 1077 at Property Node (arg1)..." in the sub-VI. I have found that this always happens on the last plot on the Graph (yes, I use 0 for the first active plot). I stop when the error occurs and look at the graph properties and the plot I am setting as active does exist in the list (right-click Graph / properties -> Plots tab -> Plot drop down list). In addition, I see the plot on the graph, but just not set to the line width I am setting it to. A probe on the data that is being written to the Graph shows the correct number of plots. If I run the sub-VI again with the same input data, it always works the second time. The example I attached will work by itself every time (I set to default the data that gave me the last error).

Any suggestions -- this is an aggravating problem? The number of plots is typically different each time the sub-VI is called.
Thanks for any help.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(5,057 Views)

It looks like there was a CAR filed on this specific error that you are receiving.  Please view the linked discussion forum for a workaround.  Let me know if this helps, thanks!

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&message.id=207048&requireLogin=False

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(5,027 Views)

Thanks for looking at my problem (which has now become unbearable). The thread you mentioned states: "error seems to occur if you are actively manipulating this graph at the same time you try to write to the Active Tool property". I am not manipulating the graph at all, just graphing in step 1 and writing the line widths in step 2 (in a sequence statement). Unfortunately, I cannot even look at the above code since I have LV 7.0 and the code is in 8.2.

With probes, I have verified that the number of plots written to the graph is correct, and that LV is complaining about setting the active plot of an existing plot. If I click on "continue" when I get the error, the program continues and properly sets the line widths. I think the problem is that I have several graphs in the same VI. It looks like LV gets confused about the # of plots in the property node I am writing to compared to the other property nodes. I write sequentially to graph1, property node 1, graph2, property node 2, graph3, property node 3 (each with a different # of plots). The VI may crash when writing plot #20 in property node 2 when graph1 has < 20 plots. Again, this only happens occasionally.

Any other suggested work-arounds? I can stop setting the line widths, but then the graphs look terrible. I haven't worked with subpanels before -- is it possible to have 1 graph in a subVI be displayed differently in 3 subpanels of a top level VI?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(5,020 Views)
OK, I just figured out what to do. I have to set the # of Legend Plots to be equal to the number of plots and set the Legend Visible to FALSE. Even though I never had the legend visible (I have typically > 20 plots), I still have to set the number of plots in order to set the line width of that plot. To me, this is a LV bug that should be fixed. Anyway, I am happy I have a painless work around (although it was painful trying to find it).
Message 4 of 5
(5,017 Views)

Don't forget to take into consideration the Default Values that are Initialived when the program first runs.

mgroom
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,212 Views)