LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Glyph Library

Solved!
Go to solution

My Icons and folders are where they are supposed to be.  However, now when I try to edit my VI Icons the editor shows only a blank tree.  I think I deleted some XML file that is supposed to be there.

When I tried to Sync automaticaly and manually with no results.  How does one rebuild the XML file?  Or are there some other suggestions abuot this?

thanks

Mark

-------
Mark Ramsdale
-------
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(8,126 Views)

Mark,

According to the LabVIEW Help on Synchronizing with the Icon Library Manually, you should be able to download a new XML file. Give that shot and let us know if it works.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Ben Sisney
FlexRIO V&V Engineer
National Instruments
Message 2 of 7
(8,092 Views)

Hi,

I listed the results below of the attempt for the manual library sync.  However, just noticed I am not getting the dialog for the automatic sync  (  Sync with Icon Library dialog )  This automatic Icon library sync dialog seems like it answers my questions below about existing PNG  files.  Perhaps I have two issues ( sync / no library) or some underlying issue that currupted my Glyph functionality.  

I tried to sync with the Icon library with no results.  I downloaded the ZIP file, and the XML file.  I Used the Auto sync, which gave a server error ( and no dialiog as mentioned above )  for NI and drops into the manual sync window.  THis is the only way I know to get to the manual sync.  

I filled in the two files in the manual sync window ( zip and xml ).  After hitting the OK button there is no action.  Not a show stopper, but annoying.

Suggestions welcome.

** Two other thoughs about glyph libraries  ***

I am also wondering what will happen to the new ( and mostly empy) library I have started for the short term. 

The icon ZIP download seems un-needed because I already have the PNG's, and a few of my own.  There seems not to be a method to sync with a directory.  This would be useful.

** random thought abuot this  ***

There are som BIN files too, I am interested in how these work into the glyph library.

-------
Mark Ramsdale
-------
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(8,068 Views)

The BIN fine is an icon cache - when the Icon Editor loads it first loads the glyph previews from this file, and then, if the files have changed, it builds new previews and overwrites this file. This is done because it dramatically speeds up the time it takes the icon editor to load.

As far as your issue goes, one thing that I noticed was that when I put a whole load of my own PNGs in the glyphs folder, the tree view ended up getting corrupted and a whole bunch of the glyphs became white squares on the white background. Have you tried removing any custom PNGs from the glyphs folder, re-syncing and starting again - if that were to work, it might be something to do with the other files you have in that folder? (PS. I'm not NI so I'm more than happy for someone with more direct icon editor experience to correct me here 🙂

Shaun 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(8,053 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mark_Ramsdale

Mark,

Checkout the screenshots I attached to this post. The ones named "sync_auto.png" and "sync_auto_done.png" are what happens when I click Tools»Synchronize with ni.com Icon Library from the icon editor dialog box. When you try to automatically sync do you not see the "sync_auto.png" screen?

The image "sync_manual.png" is what happens when I disconnect my PC from the network and cause it to fail the automatic connection. When I plug in the .zip  and .xml files and click okay I to see nothing happen. I will look further into that issue to see what may be going on.

I also tried adding my own .png's to the icon editor and was able to add them to any of the folders in the LabVIEW Data\Glyphs directory and to the Glyph directory itself. Doing this allowed them to show up in the Icon Editor Library. Is the kind of "directory syncing" you were looking for?

On our communities there is a patch for the icon editor. I also found a CAR (Corrective Action Request 182803) that reports Glyphs with 35+ character filenames hang LabVIEW, but I don't think that is what is happening here.

Ben Sisney
FlexRIO V&V Engineer
National Instruments
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(8,028 Views)

Hi,

Installed the patch, restarted Labview.  Synched, no change, but restarted Labview again and Library is back.   bandrum.gif

This is how it went down.  I try Auto Sync ( fist PNG above) , drops to error, then to manual sync dialog.  Enter file names ( second PNG above) I get dumped back into the icon editor, there was no stop at the third screen for manual sync ( third PNG above).

But after restarting LV again the library was back, with my custom pics too.  Thanks.

-------
Mark Ramsdale
-------
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(8,001 Views)

FYI: This sync issue still persists in LabVIEW 2014.

I tried applying the patch, but LabVIEW would still not sync automatically after a restart.

I manually downloaded the *.zip and *.xml from the link below, and it worked for me.

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361F-01/lvhowto/synchronizing_icon_library/

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(5,527 Views)