LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting the DAQ Assistant to see a networked USB hub.

Ok, guys/gals,

I'm stepping away from the USB/Ethernet hub for now... I can get some basic functionality out of the TrendNET unit, but can't get MAX to see the NI hardware across the connection. 

I never got the "limited/no connectivity" issue ironed out.  I tried with dynamic IP addresses, static IP addresses, making sure the subnet addresses matched.... nada.   I could get it to ping the IP address successfully, but just not sort out the connectivity problem... which I'm thinking is the issue.   ...or maybe it's just a hardware incompatibility problem that may never be fixed.  Dunno.  So I'm going to just use a simple powered USB hub for now and forge ahead.

Many thanks to all!

Later,

Chad

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 16
(625 Views)

Curious, but is this on a Win7 box?

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 16
(620 Views)

Nope, XP.  You thinking 7 would be easier?

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 16
(615 Views)

Nah, i've had a lot of issues with 7 and networking, actually. 

One in particular... we've got two systems next to each other, each with a PC running Win7 and the device under test plugged into the router.  (Two DUTs and two PCs into the four switched ports, and the "internet" port going to the company's LAN).  Had to do this because the DHCP lease on the company LAN is 24hrs, and when production's ramped up the DHCP table would fill up from DUT's.  Put the computer and DUTs on a router that I have control over, set the DHCP lease time to 30mins, keeps things nice and clean (Until manufacturing swaps the router with a switch... )

Anyways, fired up the test software on one of the boxes and I got the "limited or no connectivity" warning.  The computer next to it was working fine.  Software complained and quit because it couldn't connect to the production database.  The computer next to it was still working fine.  Ping the other computer... nothing... even though both machines were on the same subnet, both had valid IPs... 

Fired up internet exploder on teh one that wasn't behaving... No surprise, it could get out to the internet... but once IE saw it could get out and it did have a connection to the internet, everything worked fine after that. 

Told manufacturing to try that, when they'd have ethernet failures or when one machine couldn't connect to the database... just open ie and go to a webpage, any webpage, then try it again.

The guys here that have been forced into Win7 upgrades seem to be happy, but so far all i've seen is problems and weirdness with it.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 16
(610 Views)

Well, as a last shot, I hooked the hub up to the router, the router to a company LAN cable (which got us onto the internet directly... I'm kinda shocked at that, but now I know.) and my computer to one of the ports on the router... connected to the router no prob, the Trendnet software found the hub and linked me to a jump drive plugged into the hub.  ...but MAX still won't see past the hub to the NI hardware.  Oh well, maybe I'll do some more research and see if I can work out some other solution because the Ethernet hub doesn't seem to fit the bill.  Onward and upward!

Chad

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 16
(604 Views)

I have had good luck with a product from B&B called USB Anywhere. When I installed their driver software, and the latest version of DAQmx, the NI USB DAQ unit discovered in Max fine through the exiting company e-net. The e-net went through a router, and w 4-port switch on the way to the USB Anywhere device, so I think the driver softwre did a pretty good job. I think the B&B driver software might be the key to working seamlessly.

Just my experience, good luck with your installtion,

Dave

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 16
(585 Views)