From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Tree Item from Tree Entry

Getting Tree Item from Tree Entry

The operation DoubleClick returns the Tag not the displayed item. In my case it might return Left_4 if this happens to be the fourth Tag with the name “Left”. Does anyone know how to extract the name of the item given the tag? I'm using LV 7.0 .Of course some of my items really end with “_number”!
Yours Sincerely
John
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,935 Views)
The Double Click method returns the unique Tag name of the item from the Tree. No two tag names can be alike in one Tree, therefore LabVIEW automatically renames the tag name of items with equal item names. You can edit the tag names of your items by right-clicking the Tree control and selecting "Edit Items...".

To get the item name of the selected item, use a Property Node and choose "Active Cell Properties >> String".
- Philip Courtois, Thinkbot Solutions

Thinkbot Solutions
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,917 Views)
Thanks Philip
Thast's what I would have thought but it does not seem to work for me in LV 7.0. I've attached a little test.vi. What's the difference between "Active" and "Selected"?
Yours Sincerely
John
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,913 Views)
Hi there,

I was too fast on the trigger last time I responded to your email. After further investigation, there doesn't seem to be a way to access the visible text of an item in the case that it is not equal to the tag name of that item.

Your interest in a feature to programmatically access the visible item names seems very valid. I advice you to report us the product suggestion through the "Feedback" link found here:

www.ni.com/contact

Thinkbot Solutions
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,867 Views)
Hello Philip C.
I do not have a service contract for LabVIEW. There seems no simple way to submit a bug report or product suggestion without one. Can you do it, since you are part of NI. Maybe if one of these discussion forums were “reporting LabVIEW bugs / Wish list” then people might help NI make its software even better.
Yours Sincerely
John
Message 5 of 6
(2,862 Views)
Hey John,

You don't need a service contract to pass us your product suggestions. All you need to create is a Profile that tells us your name and so on. You have the option of specifying products of interest, but it is not required.

The reason that we prefer the feedback to come directly from our customers, is to get a better reasoning for the request and to track what type of customers that request certain features. This will eventually give us a better idea of how and by whom the feature will be used.

"Power To The Users!"

I can still report the product suggestion for you - I just wanted to let you know why we use the current implementation.

Thinkbot Solutions
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,846 Views)