LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get PC information

Hi,

I want LabVIEW to read device-information from the PC it's running on.

- Processor type
- Clock speed
- hard disk serial
- amount of RAM

I presume that the best way of working is using WinAPI calls.
I've tried to do it but I can't make it work...

Please advise...
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,205 Views)
Do you know which DLL to call to get this info, and the function names and arguments? Once we know this, it should be a simple matter to use a Call Library Node to get the information. Post what you have so far.
- tbob

Inventor of the WORM Global
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,193 Views)
Here are some windows functions that might help you out. You will probably get some error messages when opening these files if you do just double click on the broken arrow and find which function call is giving you the problem and make sure it points to the lvutil32.dll on your hard drive.

hope this helps you out.

Joe.
"NOTHING IS EVER EASY"
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,178 Views)
Joe, your icon suggests you are a Tennessee Vols fan. I'm an LSU graduate. My Labview program predicts the Tigers will win it all this coming football season. To take this offline, email me at robert.a.duet@medtronic.com.
- tbob

Inventor of the WORM Global
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,159 Views)

Hi 

these file cant be open with newest labview version 

I am having now labview 2015 , and these vi written with labview 5 and 4.01 , 

its cant be open 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,391 Views)

@TommyBoy wrote:
Hi,

I want LabVIEW to read device-information from the PC it's running on.

- Processor type
- Clock speed
- hard disk serial
- amount of RAM

I presume that the best way of working is using WinAPI calls.
I've tried to do it but I can't make it work...

Please advise...

While some of this information is accessible with simple WinAPI calls, others are more complicated. WMI is the Windows technology to access just about anything you may ever want to know about your machine if it is available at all, but its API is COM based and that is not something you can easily interface with LabVIEW. Basically while COM is the underlaying technology for ActiveX Microsoft did not go all the way to make it a full ActiveX interface and therefore you can not use the ActiveX functionality in LabVIEW.

I assume that there would be some .Net component that allows you to access WMI too, and that would be easiest. The way I went in the past about that is to write a DLL that translates between the COM WMI API and LabVIEW but that is not something I can post here and it is somewhat involved requiring you to know about C programming a bit.

Another option that might actually give you quite a bit of information although not all that WMI can provide, would be the NI System Configuration API. That is a platform independent API to read a selected number of machine specific values including most of what you listen. It works on all NI RT platforms but also under Windows, Linux and Mac OS X.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,380 Views)