LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Geoprocessing in Labview

Is there a way to run geoprocesses from acrgis in labview, without having arcgis installed?

I tried doing this in visual studio, but it only calls arcmap, and I want to use this in a pc that doesn't have arcgis.

I also thought of doing this in python, but this requires the arcpy library, and this requires at least arc engine, and I don't want to install any software from esri.

What I want  to do is use the log info from arcgis, to rerun all the processes, in a standalone application.

Please let me know if this is possible.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,799 Views)

Hi Nando,

What I want  to do is use the log info from arcgis, to rerun all the processes, in a standalone application.

So you want to re-program all those "processes" you want to "rerun" with LabVIEW?

Please let me know if this is possible.

Surely this will be possible.

You need to know how those "processes" are working and you need the LabVIEW knowledge to program them…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,741 Views)

If I understand right, you want to use the 'arcgis' data log files and read and analyse them in LabVIEW.

Sounds doable, IF you know how the data is written to the log files 🙂

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,729 Views)

Is there a Labview module or toolkit that I could use to do this?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,718 Views)

Well unless you don't tell us what exactly you need to do, there is no tool to suggest ....  (and always keep in mind, if you only have a hammer, every task looks like a nail :D)

Usually, if you know what to to , you already know at least one answer how to do it ...

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,693 Views)

Most likely not. Arcgis is a proprietary software and the files it generates most likely too. Esri very likely has absolutely no interest in letting their "processes" be executed by other software which would make their application (and license fee) obsolete.

And while it is technically possible to reverse engineer what a software does and recreate it in the form of a LabVIEW toolkit for instance, there is little incentive to do so. Most people looking for a LabVIEW toolkit will not want to fork large sums of money over for it. So it comes down to someone crazy enough to do it for his own satisfaction and feeling so happy about it that they want to share it with everyone. These people are not that common and even if one does that, the feedback for such a library is anything but encouraging as it is seldom a polished library and the people looking into it run into problems or simply expect the freebie to be a full fledged solution, starting to complain about minor and not so minor limitations of it.

GIS being an extremely niche application for something like LabVIEW it really most likely comes down to someone absolutely needing it and investing the time and money to create the library for LabVIEW himself.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,679 Views)