From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generate Multiple Plots Based on Array Size

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi All,

I am fairly new to LabView, and I have read several threads that are similar to my problem, but I do not know how to implement it yet.  I basically have a large array that stores raw data read from several text files.  This large array's size would vary based on the number of text files generated by a data acquisition system.  I would like to plot each row of the array on a new plot.  Instead of wiring it manually, is there an easier way around? 

Thank you,

Lynniz

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,677 Views)

Lynniz,

When you say plot are you talking about a graph? As you can see, it affects how you assemble your data....

Eric

graphs.png

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,666 Views)

Yes.  I would like to have each row of the arry on a separate graph.  The number of graphs will change based on the size of the array.  I am thinking about maybe a stacked chart or something.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,646 Views)

Hi Lynniz,

If you connect 2D array to a Waveform chart then each row will be treated as individual plot.

So what you have to do is, combine data from text files, build 2 D array and use Waveform graph.

P.S. I assume element size in each row will be same, otherwise extra elemnet will be considered as 0.

Gaurav k
CLD Certified !!!!!
Do not forget to Mark solution and to give Kudo if problem is solved.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,642 Views)

Thanks for the response Gak.  I forgot to mention that I also have different time segments to graph with each row of the array.  I am currently bundling the time and each row of the array manually to a XY graph.  And to make things more complicated, element size in each row is different.  I just found this out, so I need to find a way around that too.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,636 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lynniz

Lynniz,

If you need a separate graph for each plot then can you at least determine beforehand what the maximum number of plots could be and show/hide your graphs programmatically based on the data in. All the graphs could be in a subVI that appears separate from your main application window or you could use a subpanel.

I'm just brainstorming here. There might be a more elegant way to do this, but showing/hiding graphs that already exist is the only thing I can think of right now.

Eric

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,626 Views)

Thanks for the reply.  I am going to try your approach.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,611 Views)