From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gauge Scale Position Start bug

Hi,

I found a little bug when fiddling with gauges and couldn't find a place to report it.

The scale position start property does some weird stuff when it overflows after 2*pi

Gauge start position overflow.gif

Gauge start position overflow.png

With negative numbers it's even graphically funkier... it even crashed my LabVIEW (LV20.0 community) once but I can't get it to completely crash anymore and use the bug report tool.

Regards,

Baptiste

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(780 Views)

Well, the position only makes sense for values in the range 0..2pi. So why exactly are you feeding it unreasonable values?

A better behavior would be to divide by 2pi using quotient&remainder and use the remainder. I guess LabVIEW could internally do that to protect from unexpected inputs.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(730 Views)

I know it doesn't really make sense.

But since the digital scale is coded to take care of that for the developer I thought it would be logical for the color ramp to be as smart.

There's also some slight changes in the thickness of the ramp for some reason, even when the start position is kept within logical bounds.

As for the use, I thought the circular color ramp of the gauges might be a good element for some fancy/hacky UI.

- the hourglass is long gone, and now rotating "waiting circle" are common place

- it makes for some cool "selected" highlight

- I also gave it a shot as the rings of some gas giant planet

Too bad it can't be elliptic too 😄 (and antialiased while I am at it :D)

Gauge overdose.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(674 Views)