LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB/VISA trigger sequence

Hello all. I'm working with a piece of equipment to take readings via GPIB and have the basics working but want to take triggered readings. As of right now after a number of repeated readings something happens and every third read is a null. So triggered is definitely the way to go. 

What I don't understand is the sequence of GPIB or VISA events to make this happen. From what I gather you would write the parameters to the instrument and say triggered mode. Then send a trigger command, wait for SRQ and then finally read? But that isn't working too well. All I'm looking for is which commands and the correct order. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(856 Views)

Hi Adam,

@Adam_Stouffer wrote:

As of right now after a number of repeated readings something happens and every third read is a null.

What I don't understand is the sequence of GPIB or VISA events to make this happen. From what I gather you would write the parameters to the instrument and say triggered mode. Then send a trigger command, wait for SRQ and then finally read? But that isn't working too well.

All I'm looking for is which commands and the correct order.

Generic answer for your generic question: read the manual of your device to learn about it's triggering options (and the correct order of commands)…

Other comments on your message:

• Please be more specific with your question!
  • What is that "something", that happens while reading data from your device?
  • Which (GPIB/VISA) "events" are you talking about?
  • In which way your VI "isn't working too well"? So your VI actually is working!?
Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(809 Views)

@Adam_Stouffer wrote:

Hello all. I'm working with a piece of equipment to take readings via GPIB and have the basics working but want to take triggered readings. As of right now after a number of repeated readings something happens and every third read is a null. So triggered is definitely the way to go. 

What I don't understand is the sequence of GPIB or VISA events to make this happen. From what I gather you would write the parameters to the instrument and say triggered mode. Then send a trigger command, wait for SRQ and then finally read? But that isn't working too well. All I'm looking for is which commands and the correct order. Thanks.

Well the correct order to send commands would be in the instruments programming manual.

About "after a number of repeated readings something happens and every third read is a null".

Post your code as that makes absolutely no sense at all.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(786 Views)