cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G-Type in Labview NXG

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi Everybody, 

I am learning Labview NXG starting from scratch (no previous Labview experience) using the NI 35 day free license and download (Thank you NI!). It seems to me that "G-Type" applies only to unique portions of the software. I've seen where the option to convert something to G-Type presents itself (e.g. a Cluster Constant), so naturally I wonder why isn't EVERYTHING G-type already. Can anybody help me understand what's going on here? Would be so grateful. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,378 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author larstar4

A G-Type is a data type definition which can be reused. If you simply create a cluster, you will only be able to use that cluster in the VI where it exists. If can copy and reuse it but then if you want to make changes to all instances of that cluster, you literally have to go to each and make the modifications. A G-Type defines the cluster (or any other specific data you need) and allows you to create copies of the G-Type. If you need to update it, such as adding an element, you simply edit the G-Type and all instances of that G-Type will see the update.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
Message 2 of 3
(2,339 Views)

Thank you for your explanation, which I now see is what the text in the manual was trying to say. I just needed that little push to put it together.  

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,325 Views)