From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full duplex communication between PIC Controller and LabVIEW

Hi guys,

Is there any way for full duplex communication betwen PIC Controller and LabVIEW. I want to read data from PIC Controller, when I send a data request to PIC from LabVIEW.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,946 Views)

I think it depends a bit on the PIC and how you communicate with it.  We have a very old, very cranky PIC that runs (heaven help us) Ladder Logic, with an RS232 interface to a PC.  We wrote a small C++ program that can communicate with the PIC, and call it from LabVIEW to let LabVIEW both send commands to the PIC and read results from the PIC.  [It would have been nice to do the RS-232 stuff directly with LabVIEW, but as I recall, the PIC used a somewhat bizarre communication scheme, had a C++ driver, and thus we took the "easier road"].

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,935 Views)

I manage to build RS485 network with PC (LabVIEW) as a master and six slaves (PIC18F458), software mikroBasic PRO and it works ok.

Regards

Vlado

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,925 Views)

I really do not think a PIC is even capable of full duplex comunications.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,915 Views)

@velkumar10 wrote:

Is there any way for full duplex communication betwen PIC Controller and LabVIEW. I want to read data from PIC Controller, when I send a data request to PIC from LabVIEW.

Full duplex means you can send and receive simultaneously. Is that actually what you need? If you want to send a request and receive a response, half-duplex is sufficient, because all the communication is synchronous: the PIC only sends data in response to a command, rather than sending at random times. Even if you do need the PIC to send data occasionally without a request, you may not need full-duplex communication - for example, CAN is not a full-duplex bus, but it handles asynchronous messages well.

That said, a simple RS232 (serial) interface is full-duplex and is supported by the PIC, so you could definitely use that. But, the code on your PIC needs to support such communication. If the code on the PIC doesn't have any way to transfer data, then you can't do anything without modifying that code.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,904 Views)