LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fpga debug using simulated IO via custom VI - error message

Solved!
Go to solution

I have an PXIe-7966R with MXI interface to Win7-64/LV2013-32bit. The setup is working. VI's can execute on FPGA target.

I want to debug an FPGA vi on the host computer using simulated IO via custom VI. I try to follow the tutorial in LabVIEW Help: Tutorial: Creating Test Benches (FPGA Module). Have made the custom test vi and the "inverter.vi", and set the proper simulated execution mode.

When running the "inverter.vi" (FPGA target but for now simulate on host) I get this error message dialog:

Execution already in progress
Another FPGA VI for this target is already executing on the development computer. Stop the other VI before running this vi.

vi run error.png

I can't see where I could stop this other fpga vi. In fact I can't find this other vi at all. Here is the project, which can't be any simpler:

project.png

Any hints are welcome.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,307 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author heel

Can you show us what the host vi looks like?  Are you opening multiple references to the same FPGA vi? 

Are you closing the refecence when you end the vi?  

Can you try closing down labview completely, then open a flexrio example from the example finder and try to execute on dev computer? 

National Instruments
FlexRIO & R-Series Product Support Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,296 Views)

thanks for your quick reply.

I tried restart LV and sure enough this changed things. Now I get this error

failed sim vi.png

which could make sense as the IO simulation VI (simTb.vi in my project) is not tested (can't do that without the fpga target under test). This is shown in part below. Note that it is the auto generated template from fpga simulation setup dialog.

invTb(snip).png

and here is the fancy fpga target vi under test (yes i try to make life easy:-))

inveter(snip).png

So no host vi for communication with fpga - just the simualtion test bench.

Ok, I will work on from here and try to fix the error reported. Although I dont se any reason why it reports that its not supported to write to "IO Module\TTL Out Enable 1"

But clearly a restart made a diffence.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,292 Views)

as for your other question of flexrio examples:

I have sucessfully run the example "10 tap 8 bit camera with DRAM" example project in simulation mode with random inputs.No problems reported there.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,288 Views)

The error message (-61399 above) is telling that the "IO Module\TTL Out Enable1" is not handled in the Simulated IO test bench

It is important that all IO's are dealt with in the "Simulated IO test bench". This make sense at least for FPGA inputs which need to be driven to some state.

For FPGA outputs it is not obvious why a handler for the port is required in the test bench. Any comments on that?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,264 Views)

You are correct in thinking that simulated outputs shouldn't need a handler for the port, however, having a handler for outputs makes the switching between simulated and real hardware execution more seamless. It becomes cumbersome for developers to switch between simulation and using real hardware when there are major software differences between both modes.

Aldo A
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,188 Views)