From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Format Custom Error Message

Hi. I am using Labview 2009 (v9.03f). I want to add my own error codes to LV. I intend to use the method where I define an XML file (with suffix "-errors.txt") containing my error codes and corresponding error messages, which then get treated the same as the LV errors. (http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/3209#toc1). This seems like a good option in case of future language migration, and to prevent a whole load of hard-coded text through the code.

However, I want to be able to insert extra error information into my messages at run time. Eg. if a value is invalid, I want to be be able to show the invalid value, like this

"Error invalid value: <run time value goes in here>".

Basically, I want something  a bit like the equivalent of the old sprintf in C, where you can specify a string with various formatting placeholders, and then provide a list of data to populate the placeholders.

Can I do this with the LV error handling?

Thanks for listening.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,405 Views)

Hi,

I don't think thats a possibility with the LabVIEW Custom Error Code set, I can't really think of a way of getting what you are looking for but hopefully some members of the community might have some additional suggestions.

Kind Regards, 

Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,362 Views)

I would consider creating a custom error handler.  When it detects the error codes which you have defined as having a runtime parameter, then it creates the string and inserts it right before displaying the error.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,351 Views)