LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Folder browser in LabVIEW

Hi,

I have 2 questions and I would greatly appreciate your help on them 

How can I manually call a folder browser in LabVIEW to choose or create a folder?

Is it possible to just choose a folder or do I need to select a file as well. I use this address as input to Write to Spreadsheet File.vi and the file name (csv file) should be automatically assigned 

Also could you please let me know how can I prompt the user to choose a file in TestStand using a popup message? can I use popup message from the insert pallette? can I add a path browser to it?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,194 Views)

Hi Tintin,

In the Functions>>Programming>>File>>Advanced palette (or the express VI palette), there's a File Dialog express VI that sounds like it'll do what you want, or could be a good starting point once converted into a normal VI - you can configure it to allow the user to select a file, folder, or either file or folder, limit to new or existing files, and pass in a dynamic "start path" for where to open the file browser. It also allows you to set only certain file types to appear in the browser (.csv, for example).

The core VI for this express VI is just the File Dialog primitive, also found in the Advanced File palette, but I'd recommend using the express VI to get a better idea of how it's configured.

Regards,

Tom L.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,187 Views)

Note that the solution posted by Outlaw is the normal file selection dialog from Windows but then in a mode that allows to select directories. It's not ideal but the specific Windows Browse for Folder dialog is in my opinion even much worse. So unless you want to create your own VI based browse for folder dialog, the recommendation from Outlaw is likely the fastest and easiest solution.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,139 Views)