From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FlexRIO vs _niInstr\Basic Elements

Solved!
Go to solution

One of my machines has:

C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2014\instr.lib\_niInstr\Basic Elements\v1\FPGA\Public\Detect Rising Edge.vi

The other has:

C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2014\instr.lib\FlexRIO\Libraries\Helper VIs\Rising Edge Detect.vi

The VIs are identical.  These are dev PCs with lots of files.  How do I know that I have all the FPGA libraries installed on my computer?  Which installer is responsible for each of these?  Both of my computers have FlexRIO 16.0

Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified Professional Instructor
ALE Consultants

Introduction to LabVIEW FPGA for RF, Radar, and Electronic Warfare Applications
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(5,652 Views)

Hi Terry_ALE,

I'd say that you had installed a previous version of FlexRIO that installed that version of the VI. Check the version of both VIs https://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361J-01/lvdialog/general_properties/ and also check that you have LabVIEW Real-Time and FPGA Module, these should've been installed before FlexRIO.

Regards,

PedroR

Message 2 of 8
(5,599 Views)

Thanks Pedro

I uninstalled all FlexRIO drivers including the FIDL (http://forums.ni.com/t5/NI-Labs-Toolkits/NI-FlexRIO-Development-Tools/ta-p/3517734) and installed FlexRIO 16.1 but it still does not find this

C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2014\instr.lib\_niInstr\Basic Elements\v1\FPGA\Public\Detect Rising Edge.vi

I don't want to keep installing/uninstalling, so I'm hoping for a more precise answer.

ALE Consultants

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(5,591 Views)

Hi Terry,

FlexRIO and other driver stacks that include the common IDLs (i.e. building block VIs like "Detect Rising Edge.vi") will generally try to install the IDLs in the "instr.lib" directory of their respective LabVIEW version support. So given your path includes the "LabVIEW 2014" directory, it looks like the code you are trying to run was developed/targeted for a LabVIEW 2014/FlexRIO 14.x SW stack and is therefore looking to that directory for that VI (which is why you're most likely having issues if you don't have this SW installed). Since you said you installed FlexRIO 16.1, please see if the desired VI is at the path "C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2016\instr.lib\_niInstr\Basic Elements\v1\FPGA\Public\Detect Rising Edge.vi". Let me know if you still have issues.

Regards,

John Gentile

FlexRIO PSE

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(5,587 Views)

I do have "C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2016\instr.lib\_niInstr\Basic Elements\v1\FPGA\Public\Detect Rising Edge.vi"

My current project is LabVIEW 2014 and currently cannot change versions.  Does this mean I should also install FlexRIO 14.x?

ALE Consultants

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(5,579 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Terry_ALE

Yes, especially since FlexRIO 16.x does not install board driver support for LabVIEW 2014. If it was the case that you wanted to upgrade the entire system to LabVIEW 2016, than you could use the 16.1 driver and just point the code to aforementioned path.

Note: Check http://www.ni.com/product-documentation/53536/en/ for more information on driver support and if you may need Adapter Module Support installation to support a given FAM with 14.x FlexRIO board driver

Message 6 of 8
(5,575 Views)

The FlexRIO 16.1 installer shows that there is 2014 support (just not for the examples).  Am I missing something here?

FlexRIO16.1installer.PNG

I am using a 5751 FAM and 7965 FlexRIO

ALE Consultants

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(5,573 Views)

Thanks for your help.

I installed FlexRIO 14.5 and now I have those functions in LabVIEW 2014.

ALE Consultants

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(5,559 Views)