LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flatten to string vs. Convert to variant

Does anyone have any speed/performance comparison between flattening a cluster to a string vs. converting to a variant?  I was trying some tests but I think the optimizing compiler in LV is not telling me the whole story...   Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,514 Views)

Variants are much faster because no data conversion is required.  See here.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,499 Views)

Thanks for that link.  I can't believe it, but it does seem that converting clusters in/out of variants is faster than using flatten/unflatten from string.  I did figure out a way to test this that I am fairly certain is not being optimized out and attached if you are interested.  The variant method is about 3x faster than the flatten to string method.  Whod-a-thunk-it!

-cb  (LV2011)

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,489 Views)

Not sure why this is so surprising.  Flattening to a string requires making a copy of the entire data structure and rearranging it so everything in it is stored sequentially in a single block of memory.  Converting to a variant just requires allocating a pointer to the existing memory location, along with a tag that says what sort of data it contains.

Going the other direction, unflattening from a string requires splitting up the string at the right points and copying each element into a new structure.  To get data back from a variant you just point at the original data and as long as the types are compatible you're all set.

The 3x difference isn't really meaningful; the difference in speed will be proportional to the complexity of the structure.  I'd guess that if you flatten a string to a string versus converting it to a variant you'll get relatively little difference, whereas a cluster containing several large arrays will require much more time.

Message 4 of 4
(3,484 Views)