LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fix the "constantly growing cluster constant" bug

I have mentioned this in the past in another forum and was promised that it would be taken care of. It has not, so I am throwing it here.

I have noticed that when I use a queued message handler where the queue element is comprised of an enum and a variant bundled together, updating the enum while the code grows in complexity has the nasty secondary effect that ALL queue element cluster constants (typically there is one per Event Structure Case, but sometimes more) grow a tiny bit each time.

After a while, I typically get this:

ScreenHunter_003.jpg

(My screen is 2048 pixel wide)

After some horizontal translation of the cluster (to be repeated for each case), I get this:

ScreenHunter_004.jpg

and after further tedious gymnastics, that:

ScreenHunter_005.jpg

This is what I should have had in the first place and this should NEVER change if I update the typedef enum I use to define my different actions.

Right now, I know I will have to fix this case later on if I add a few more elements to the enum...

I tried left justifying, right justifying, aligning the enum and the variant vertically, etc, to no avail.

That's truly an annoying bug.

Tested in LV 2012 SP1

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,898 Views)

I don't think I've ever encountered this problem before.  Do you know if there was a CAR filed when you reported it before?  Can you provide a link to the other forum where this was discussed?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,866 Views)

I cant reproduce it (in a simple VI), but what happens if you select Autosize - Order Vertically or something?

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,847 Views)

@CMal wrote:

I don't think I've ever encountered this problem before.  Do you know if there was a CAR filed when you reported it before?  Can you provide a link to the other forum where this was discussed?

No, I  can't. That forum (LV 2012 Beta) has since been closed (at a great loss in my opinion, as they are usually full of insights worth a look at).

I think I remember Christina (from Eyes on VIs) is the owner of that CAR.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,795 Views)

@Yamaeda wrote:

I cant reproduce it (in a simple VI), but what happens if you select Autosize - Order Vertically or something?

/Y

Autosize is always selected in my clusters. Order is never propagated in time. It's a single time action. And even if there was a workaround, I'd say this is an annoying bug nonetheless...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,793 Views)

@X. wrote:

@Yamaeda wrote:

/Y

Autosize is always selected in my clusters. Order is never propagated in time. It's a single time action. And even if there was a workaround, I'd say this is an annoying bug nonetheless...

I quite agree, i was just wondering if it was a bug in the non automated constants.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,781 Views)

Autosizing >> Arrange Horizontally is under test at this time, meaning I have switch from "Autosize" to this option and will see whether the constants continue their expansion or not.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,708 Views)