cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finding "Error 6 EOF" in an old poorly programmed Labview 7.1 program

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi Bill,

Thanks for taking the time to post. I guess I dont understand your point. I do have a copy of the code, but the program connects many different motors/transducers and it runs 24/7. So I can't really run a copy of the of code in a simulated environment. Or do you mean make edits to the copy, then just shut it down for 5 minutes to copy and paste the new code in?

Thanks,

-Troy

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 16
(1,017 Views)

I'm pretty sure Bill means work offline editing the copy of your code, then swapping in the code when you get a chance to shutdown the equipment.

Be sure to hold onto a copy of the original code as well.  (Store it away someplace safe so you don't risk accidentally making changes to that copy or overwriting things.)  That way if you find out your edits made things worse rather than better, you can at least restore the original code back to the equipment and get things running again like they were.  That would be better than trying to rush through a debug session on the actual equipment while all the managers are breathing down your neck wondering when you are going to get the equipment operational again.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 16
(1,009 Views)

Yeah, this is probably one of those things where you have to work offline and then schedule some downtime for testing - even if it means working nights or weekends.  😞

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 16
(1,005 Views)

... and Bill's mention of a repository refers to keeping all of your code, particularly anything that is "important", maintained in some form of Version Control System, such as Subversion or Git.  Work only on a "working copy" (to use Subversion's terminology), and regularly commit your changes back to the repository.  Use Tags to "mark" the "current Working Version" to allow you to "go back to what used to work" if you find you are wandering away from "what works".  Do not keep versions on Thumb Drives, do not have multiple versions (with names ending in "Version 2.1.3-new") on any computer.  If you are really concerned that you are always working on the Latest Copy, when you are done for the day, Commit your changes and then delete your Working Copy, forcing you to Check Out the latest version when you return to it.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 16
(993 Views)

Thanks for the information everyone! I will keep you posted on what I find out.

-Troy

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 16
(975 Views)

Just an update for everyone. I have not found my EOF issue yet. Really haven't had time to investigate. The not recommended, but currently in use "fix" is a program that presses the enter button every 30 seconds...

https://www.murgee.com/auto-keyboard/

I'll post if I ever find the true fix 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 16
(909 Views)