LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feature request: metadata section

One shortfall of Labview I am often frustrated with is the lack of customizable and extensibility of controls.  If the feature is not there it is hard to add to labview.  I have found a simple solution to this but there is no way to implement it.  Generic class object or possibly the GObject class could greatly benefit (at least in my opinion) with an addition of a string property called metadata.  Here the programmer can place text or values to help customize the control.  Since it is a string and publically accessed it could store virtually any number of values or additional properties.  Here is one example: in the metadata section You could store values for anchors of the control like <AnchorLeft>10</AnchorLeft><AnchorRight>10</AnchorRight>.  A resize event could access all controls, pars for the anchor tags and presto we have added functionality to all controls in the vi with the simple addition of metadata.  Just a thought.  Dont know if this can be done any other way or will ever be added but this could be nice to have with minimal G language breakage.

Paul

Message Edited by falkpl on 08-02-2006 09:31 AM

Paul Falkenstein
Coleman Technologies Inc.
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
Labview 4.0- 2013, RT, Vision, FPGA
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,684 Views)
Should I move this to a different forum?
Paul Falkenstein
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,669 Views)
Paul

I am not familiar with the term metadata but I think this sounds like a feature I have seen in Visual Basic (VB). The controls on a VB Form have a property called Tag. Like this.

And yes, I think it would be handy to have that field there to add extra functionality based on the controls Tag property. Initially I thought you could use the Description property but you would need someway of hiding the data away from the real description of the control when context help is switched on.

David.

Message Edited by David Crawford on 08-02-2006 04:21 PM

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,663 Views)

By metadata I mean data that is used to describe the object not necessarly a property of the object.  This is very flexable to use because it allows for decoupling of the data and the method for the data.  I have actually done exactly what you mention, use the description property to realize this.  The problem with this hack is that the description already has a function and the description is a property of some objects but not necessarly the gobject class.  If it is placed in the GObject class, a generic function can be made to handle all controls and subtypes without the use of polymorphic functions or large case structures.

Paul

Paul Falkenstein
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,654 Views)

"falkpl" <x@no.email> wrote in message news:1154526012389-399344@exchange.ni.com...
One shortfall of Labview I am often frustrated with is the lack of customizable and extensibility of controls.&nbsp; If the feature is not there it is hard to add to labview.&nbsp; I have found a simple solution to this but there is no way to implement it.&nbsp; Generic class object or possibly the GObject class could greatly benefit (at least in my opinion) with an addition of a string property called metadata.&nbsp; Here the programmer can place text or values to help customize the control.&nbsp; Since it is a string and publically accessed it could store virtually any number of values or additional properties.&nbsp; Here is one example: in the metadata section You could store values for anchors of the control like &lt;AnchorLeft&gt;10&lt;/AnchorLeft&gt;&lt;AnchorRight&gt;10&lt;/AnchorRight&gt;.&nbsp; A resize event could access all controls, pars for the anchor tags and presto we have added functionality to all controls in the vi with the simple addition of metadata.&nbsp; Just a thought.&nbsp; Dont know if this can be done any other way or will ever be added but this could be nice to have with minimal G language breakage.
&nbsp;
Paul Message Edited by falkpl on 08-02-2006 09:31 AM

You can make a (strict) type def of a cluster. In the cluster you can put anything you like. If it's a strict type def, you can hide the "metadata" from the user. If it's a normal type def, the programmer can choose to hide it or not.

It doesn't have to be a type def, but it will make life a lot easier.

Regards,

Wiebe.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,636 Views)