LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fastest way to write RGB data to the screen?

Hello everyone,

Short question: What is the fastest way to write 24 Bit RGB data to the screen in Labview?  DirectDraw can get me a 1000 x 1000 Array displayed to the screen in less than 1ms, can Labview get close to this?

Long Question:  I have data from coming into my VI from an external source that is then fed into a DLL that does a bunch of data processing.  The data is a large (1000x1000) array is in a 32 bit ARGB format after the DLL and currently I am writing the data to a seperate window using DirectDraw.  This interface is awkward due to some wierd anomolies in GDI/DirectDraw and it would be nice to directly write to a Labview control to keep it simple and clean.  The data can be manipulated any way in C to make LabView happy.

Thanks for the help,
Austin
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,657 Views)
No other methods can compete with DirectDraw, not even close.

To display ARGB data in LabVIEW (either Image control, or picture control), you have to transfer the data in an array of ARGB.  That's very slow (~1000ms).  Unless you want to manipulate the array in LabVIEW, you should avoid this.

George Zou

George Zou
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,632 Views)

Drat.  Ok, follow-up question: can I write my array to a Labview front panel using DirectDraw without any consequences?

Thanks,

Austin

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,617 Views)
You should create a child window and display your image in it.

George Zou

George Zou
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,611 Views)
Great!  I will look into this.  Thank you for your help.

Austin
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,609 Views)