From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Falling In Air Vi

First of all, learn about datatypes (right-click, representation).

• Number of samples is an integer (I32), so change the representation. Should be blue.
  • "v" is a floating point number, not limited to integers, so that needs to be DBL Should be orange.
  • You can set dt=1 and worry about units later. (All unit scaling can be incorproated into alpha).
  • Alpha does not change during execution of the loop, so that terminal belongs before the loop.
  • Have you found the "add", "multiply", "x²", etc. They are all in the numeric palette.
  • So you get v(n-1) from the shift register, alpha and g from their terminals or constants, and wired all up, you get v(n), which you wire into the shift register on the right, and which will turn into v(n-1) on the next iteration.

Seems simple enough, right? Have you done any basic LabVIEW tutorials?

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 13
(509 Views)

Thank you. I have used Labview before, but shift registers have thrown me for a loop, pun intended.  

I have tried setting up the equation in the loop now but am getting error message on the wire connected to the waveform graph.

Screenshot (818).png

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 13
(502 Views)

Getting closer: 😄

• The calculation does not depend on [i], so don't wire anything to the iteration terminal. Adding [i] to dt makes no sense whatsoever.
  • The shift register only outputs the "v" value from the last iteration. To get all values, you need to autoindex at the loop boundary. (I would autoindex the value coming out of the left shift register, so the data starts with zero).
  • You can set dt=0.001 for the x-scale property of the graph.

Do you know how the graph for the velocity should look like? It should asymptotically reach terminal velocity right?

What is a typical value for alpha?

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 13
(498 Views)