From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed to get variable from script server - Java problem?

I'm using MATLAB script nodes in order to access the Java API of Micro-Manager (and if you know offhand of a less convoluted way to do this, I'd like to hear it).  Specifically, I need to get a 512x512 array of Real into LabVIEW.  My scripts are running okay; I can even use imagesc in my script and MATLAB will plot the data in the array without any problem.  However, if I create a correspoding output terminal on the script node and try to wire it up, I inevitably get

Error 1048 occurred at LabVIEW: LabVIEW failed to get variable from the script server. Server: 7.4.0.287 (R2007a)" in [etc].

I tried wiring up a pre-initialized 512x512 array to an input terminal on the script node, but that doesn't seem to help.  Neither does adding a two-second pause to the end of the script, or assigning the variable to a different name and then using the different name in the output terminal.  It doesn't seem like the array size is a problem, since a script containing the line "foo = ones(512,512)" will execute without any problem and return stuff through an output terminal named "foo".

I'm running LabVIEW 8.5, and the "MATLAB Script Node - Fractal" example runs without any problems.  What else can I do to diagnose this difficulty?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,892 Views)
Ahh, how silly of me!  The function in question was returning an array of int16, so I just needed the line foo = double(bar).  (I figured that out when I realized MATLAB wasn't letting me save the array as an ASCII file either.)

It seems I presumed MATLAB or LabVIEW would just recast the array as doubles somewhere along the way.  Oh well, I hope this information is useful to someone sometime.

(And if you've had further adventures with Micro-Manager, do please bring them up.)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,886 Views)

One more thing...this keeps biting me when I'm not paying attention...

Make sure the data sent out from Matlab is NOT stored as a sparse matrix. If it is, just use the matlb "full()" function to expand it out.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,627 Views)