From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FPGA

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello i was using the sacn mode to run my codes in labvoew, and i am thinking about to try do some easy thing with the FPGA,

i would to know if it is difficult to use it?and if i would need i high level of labview to do it

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,234 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author mariomoskis

mariomoskis,

The level of difficulty will be found in the application.  Since you are currently running in scan mode, we have to first ask, is it necessary?  What exactly are you trying to do?  For what reason do you need to offload some of the code onto hardware?

The basics of using FPGA are fairly straight-forward if you are familiar with the LV environment and good coding practices.  However, you can do a lot of cool things but there are a lot of gotchas.  This is on hardware so you want to maximize your parallelability (not sure if that is a word, but hopefully you get what I am saying).  Space is at a premium so you will want to keep this in mind when manipulating things like tables or arrays.  Some functions need to operate in independent loops in order to produce the output you are looking for.  And the list goes on and on...

For a competent LV programmer, the FPGA add-on for LV is pretty straight-forward.  But, there is a learning curve to more advance usage and then there is the actual price that you have to pay for the module. 

Those are my 3 or 4 cents. 

Matt

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,228 Views)

no,it isn´t necesary to use FPGA

i just only wanted to ask about it

i had some codes like a counter or generation of a PWM signal, easy codes

but i don´t know nothing about programming on LV, so i see that it will be so difficult for me

it was because i am doing a proyect for my university to use labview to control CompactRio,and my teacher asked me about if i am able to use FPGA

thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,226 Views)