From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FPGA and External Clock Source

Hello,

I am new to FPGA world and trying to use an external clock for NI PXIe-1073 that has a PXI-7851R IO. I tried to feed the clock signal using a digital input, but the digital input does not show up in the clock options of time loops in labview FPGA.

I would appreciate it if you could help me in this issue.

Thanks,

Masoud

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,362 Views)

Hey Masoud_A,

Take a look at this forum post for some more information on this:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/Real-Time-Measurement-and/Timed-Loops-with-External-Clocks/m-p/2209902/high...

The short answer is that this is not supported on our R Series cards. However, the workaround posted in that forum post should be a good start.

Cheers,

Ryan C.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,270 Views)

Hi Ryan,

Thank you for your answer. I checked that forum and I don't think using a SCTL to sample the external clock into a local variable will provide the accuracy that I am looking for. Is there any new IO that provides an external clock option?

Thanks,

Masoud

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,263 Views)

Hi Masoud_A,

What do you think about sampling and then using the case structure without a local variable?

The forum post is also up-to-date about the I/O. There aren't currently any R Series or Compact RIO devices that support the external loop timer.

Cheers,

Ryan

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,241 Views)