LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FPGA Referencing Multi Loops

Hello,

I have a simple VI which open's a FPGA Reference (using Open FPGA VI Reference) in dynamic mode, downloads to FPGA and runs it.

This is done before a timed loop starts and then the reference out of the Run invoke node is passed to do operations such as read and write.

All this is fine and dandy.

The issue I have is that I have another loop, which is significantly larger visually and the process of passing the reference wires around is a total nightmare. Usually when i come to these in files i put the file reference to a control and then use a local variable to reference it throughout making my code neat and tidy and simple to understand.

When i do the same with the FPGA initially it is fine. However when I rebuild the FPGA, which changes interfaces I have to delete the control and re-add it, which means all the local references I have need to be replaced. 

Ived tried using another FPGA dynamic reference, which works fine but puts a 75ms overhead on my loop which isnt acceptable.

What is the 'proper' way I am supposed to do this keeping in mind I need to quickest possible update rate.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,084 Views)

The proper way is to use a wire.

One trick is to use the Dynamic nature of the FPGA reference.  You can cast it to a different interface and have your second loop (which should probably be in a subVI and have many subVIs in it) use the special new interface.  The items in the casted interface must be in the original interface.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,058 Views)