LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[FPGA] Compilation Error - Slice LUTs size exceeded for simple program

Hi, I am using LabVIEW 2016 with cRIO-9039 that has a FPGA Xilinx Kintex-7 7K325T with 203,800 LUT Slices.
I am trying to implement a reasonably simple SPMI Matrix Inverse program into the FPGA, but I am getting error on compilation because it uses over 200% of the allocable LUTs. I understand that big arrays (mine has to be at least size 100) take a large amount of resources, but I've tried doing similar things before with these size arrays in the FPGA and wouldn't even take half of the resources. So I feel that something is wrong with my code and the understanding that the compiler does of my code.

Please find the attached VI (MatrixInverse_1.vi) with its subVIs, and the error pictures.

I also tried setting implementation strategy to "optimise area" but it did not solve the situation.

How can I further reduce the LUT usage in order to fit it into my FPGA?

photo_2019-12-18_14-41-46.jpg

chrome_W6iYaxd1xS.pngchrome_AbubHxg7Vx.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,714 Views)

Hi Boujuan,

@Boujuan wrote:

How can I further reduce the LUT usage in order to fit it into my FPGA?

Use FXP instead of SGL wires to reduce LUT usage…

Whatever happens in the TRUE case of the case structure should be done before the FOR loop…

Cleaning up the array dimensions: why do you need to multiply a array[10 elements] with an array[100 elements]?

Don't use a FOR loop when you just need a sequence frame (at the end)…

The subVIs ArraySubset and ArrayInMatrixExpander are very similar, you might merge them into one subVI…

ReplaceArraySubset is resizable, so you can simplify the last FOR loop inside the case structure…

Generic advice:

Cleaning up the whole VI might help to improve readability (and help for simplification)…

One subVI is missing from your upload.

When uplaoding several files it helps to ZIP them.

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 4
(3,531 Views)

Hi GerdW,

Thank you for the advice, I will implement your suggestions and hope it will be enough.

About the multiplication of the 100 sized array with the 10 sized array, it is because I am handling 2D matrices as 1D arrays,

so the 100 sized array is actually a 10x10 matrix being multiplied by a 10 vector.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,455 Views)

Hi Boujean,

@Boujuan wrote:

so the 100 sized array is actually a 10x10 matrix being multiplied by a 10 vector.

No, the place I found is a simple multiplication of an array[100] with an array[10], which is simply overkill in the FPGA…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 4 of 4
(3,438 Views)