From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FM demodulation with IQ method

I am currently doing a project which requires me to demodulate a FM signal, given I samples and Q samples. I can then compute the arctangent and determine the phase, but I have no idea what to do with the phases and how I can use them in the program. I read about it on the internet, but those algorithms involved I and Q being functions, not points.

It'd be great if anyone could help me out!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(5,172 Views)

I haven't worked with demodulation for a while, so I can't explain the exact concept of demodulating it. But you need more then just one sample to demodulate. You need to get the frequencies and you can't detect frequency from a single sample.

You should consider using an array and a shift register, to append the samples to a package with specific length (the longer, the more precise your measurement will be).

Then you process a package of signal only every e.g. 512th iteration.

I hope this is not supposed to run with a live incoming radiosignal? I would guess that labview and the pc are both too slow for that.

Message 2 of 3
(5,122 Views)

Here is example on using I/Q to demodulate FM without needing any special LabVIEW tool kits.

SDRLab: an RTL-SDR interface to LabVIEW for educational purposes

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
Message 3 of 3
(5,105 Views)