LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FGV freezes in the middle of execution

Hello,

we are dealing with a very strange issue here.

We have EOL-Tester which uses LabView to operate, so quite a lot of VIs are running. From time to time the whole system seems to freeze. What I found out so far, is that one of our basic-VIs gets stuck somehow. See this screenshot:

FGV Freeze.PNG

It stays here forever. I was not able to put probes there before the error occures, but I was able to walk down the called VI hierachy until I reached that point. It's just a simple FGV. The arrays in the FGV contain ~90 entries all the time. It's just Queue Refnums and Strings.

Are there any ideas how this can happen or what we can do to solve it?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(3,820 Views)

@flowschi wrote:

Hello,

we are dealing with a very strange issue here.

We have EOL-Tester which uses LabView to operate, so quite a lot of VIs are running. From time to time the whole system seems to freeze. What I found out so far, is that one of our basic-VIs gets stuck somehow. See this screenshot:

FGV Freeze.PNG

It stays here forever. I was not able to put probes there before the error occures, but I was able to walk down the called VI hierachy until I reached that point. It's just a simple FGV. The arrays in the FGV contain ~90 entries all the time. It's just Queue Refnums and Strings.

Are there any ideas how this can happen or what we can do to solve it?

Thank you!

No ideas from the scant information you posted, but if you attach the actual FGV (meaning the VI itself), so we can examine all of the code in addition to the single case shown in your picture, we might be able to suggest where the problem lies.

[Why do so many posters come to the LabVIEW Forums asking "What's wrong with my code", and expect useful and intelligent answer when they don't show us the code in a form useful to us, namely by attaching the VIs in question?]

Bob Schor

Message 2 of 14
(3,793 Views)

@flowschi wrote:

We have EOL-Tester which uses LabView to operate, so quite a lot of VIs are running. From time to time the whole system seems to freeze. What I found out so far, is that one of our basic-VIs gets stuck somehow.

Who wrote the code? Why is the diagram background creatively colored? What's in the other cases? What are the reentrancy and priority settings of the subVI?  The number of VIs and the fact that they are running under LabVIEW is not correlated, so why mention it?  Why is the VI set for execution highlighting? That will definitely slow it down.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(3,783 Views)

Also it is a bad practice to have those controls (used as panel inputs) inside the While loop. they should be outside the while loop for performance reasons. However this should not cause what you see.

Above the others already asked about execution settings. If this is a FGV, then another instance of it can block its execution (but I do not know if a FGV blocks another, how it would been shown by the "highlight execution"). Do you call this FGV at some other place at the 'same' time? But even that way it should not block its execution for a long time...maybe you run your VI always with the "execution highlight" turned on? 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(3,775 Views)

Is there a breakpoint hidden inside?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(3,769 Views)

And a picture of a VI is like a picture of text code with all the functions collapsed.  Neither does anyone much good.  😄

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(3,768 Views)

Have you run VI analyzer on that?

That would show the most common problems.  

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(3,745 Views)

Sorry for the poor Information in the first post, I will try to deliver it now.

Who wrote the code? Why is the diagram background creatively colored? What's in the other cases? What are the reentrancy and priority settings of the subVI?  The number of VIs and the fact that they are running under LabVIEW is not correlated, so why mention it?  Why is the VI set for execution highlighting? That will definitely slow it down.

- The code was written by us.

- Is the usage of colors known to slow down or make LabView freeze?

- I will attach the VI

- The VI (FGV) is not reentrant and normal priority.

- Sorry for mentioning useless information for you...

- Execution highlighting was of course set to make it visible where the VI is waiting/stuck at the moment. It's not set during operation.

The VI is beeing called frequently from different places.

The screenshot I posted in the initial post showed the calling VI with having the Operation "GetList" wired. But the frontpanel of the FGV showed the control set to "Add". So I assume, that this is the case it got stuck and that the calling VI from the screenshot was just waiting for it and not actually executing it.

The VI Analyzer shows some helpful items, but I don't see any problems related to this issue.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(3,736 Views)

@flowschi wrote:

Sorry for the poor Information in the first post, I will try to deliver it now.

- The code was written by us.

Very clean block diagram.  A couple of comments.  One thing to clean up is that in the Add then Default cases of the case structures, you have the array of queues wire running underneath the Index Array.  It makes it look like the output of that function is the array of queues wire.  That index array needs to be moved down and a wire cleanup done.  Is there something missing?  You don't seem to do anything with the queue references you add to or get from this VI.  Should you have a terminal that outputs the retrieved queue reference?

Also, I prefer using Build Array when I know I'm adding an element to the beginning or end of an array rather than Insert into Array.  But that shouldn't be causing you any problems here.

Also, I don't understand why you'd capitalzie the M in "ReMove".

- Is the usage of colors known to slow down or make LabView freeze?

No.  But it makes LV programmers slow down or freeze when they need to deal with the headache they get from looking at the block diagram. Smiley Wink

- I will attach the VI

- The VI (FGV) is not reentrant and normal priority.

- Sorry for mentioning useless information for you...

- Execution highlighting was of course set to make it visible where the VI is waiting/stuck at the moment

The VI is beeing called frequently from different places.

The screenshot I posted in the initial post showed the calling VI with having the Operation "GetList" wired. But the frontpanel of the FGV showed the control set to "Add". So I assume, that this is the case it got stuck and that the calling VI from the screenshot was just waiting for it and not actually executing it.

This is very interesting.  I'd take the recommendation of others and move the controls outside of the while loop.  I know there can be issues at times if the controls aren't on the top level of the diagram.  (Search for the "Clear as Mud" thread for an explanation.)

The VI Analyzer shows some helpful items, but I don't see any problems related to this issue.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(3,729 Views)

Thanks. Yes, I saw also that that the output if "Index Array" is unused. I think in a previous version there was an indicator. I just left it to show the VI in the original version.

I put the controls onto the top level and running tests right now.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(3,723 Views)