From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FFT resolution

Hey guys,

i was looking for FFT  function that has resolution input as an option to select.(200Hz)

The resolution (Hz) in an FFT result is  R = Fs / N, where Fs is the sample rate (samples / sec) and N is the number of samples in the block.  so i put an indicator to manually select the sampling frequency, and an indicator to manually set the number of samples, then divide them and get the resolution.

m confused i just need to select the resolution of the signal to be fed to the FFT function...

hope i made it clear.

any suggestions guys ?

Bill David
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(3,469 Views)

Hi Bill,

your Fs is given by your signal acquisition routine, N is given by the blocksize of data you fed into the FFT routine. Either change your DAQ to use other Fs or collect data to change the blocksize N.

No other inputs to a FFT are required...

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(3,453 Views)

Biil David,

If you need N to be larger than the amount of data you have available, pad the data with zeros to the desired length.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(3,451 Views)

DAQ is not my case . m jusr reading from a serial port . the attached image shows that i am doing  BUTTERWORTH filter with sampling frequency that i can adjust, as well as higher and lower cutoff frequency.

after filtering the ECG signal ,i wired my signal to a peak detect function found in the biomedical toolkit, to display peaks and graph it .

i just need to do a FFT to make peaks look clear. so i thought to determine the resolution of the signal to be fed to some function then feed it to FFT function...

hope m not misunderstanding.

regards.

Bill David
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(3,446 Views)

sorry forgot to attach the image

Bill David
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(3,442 Views)

Hi Bill,

there's no picture...

Even when you don't do the DAQ on your own there has to be some DAQ. You have to know the sampling frequency of your signal...

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(3,441 Views)

HI 

Bill David
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(3,433 Views)

You don't understand the basics. You absolutely do have a DAQ. You already said you did. The A/D is part of your micro. You set the sample rate for that and if you don't know it, find the person that wrote the micro code for you.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(3,423 Views)

Dear 

Bill David
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(3,401 Views)

Dear 

Bill David
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12